Monmouth Orchestra Performance Features Strong WIU Presence
May 22, 2013
MACOMB, IL – When the Monmouth Civic Orchestra takes the stage at Monmouth College on Saturday, June 1, numerous Western Illinois University professors and students will be among the performers. The Monmouth Civic Orchestra is directed by Assistant Professor of Music Richard Cangro.
The concert, "Music…In the Hall of the Mountain King," begins at 7 p.m. in Dahl Chapel and will include pieces by Ludwig van Beethoven, Antonio Vivaldi, Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky and Edvard Grieg. Admission is free, but donations will be accepted.
WIU music professors Bruce Briney and Richard Cangro will perform as trumpet soloists. Other WIU faculty members who will be part of the concert include biology Associate Professor Jeff Engel, violin; Professor Emeritus Pam Godt, violin; retired Art Gallery Director John Graham, violin; and music education faculty Adrianna Marshall, viola.
Students and alumni participating include:
• Hermes Meija, Macomb, graduate student, violin
• Millie Cominsky, alumnus, master of music, violin
• Angela Holguin, Macomb, graduate student, music, cello
• Alexandra O'Donnell, Macomb, senior, double major, accountancy and music, oboe
• Kim Keim, alumnus, master of music, oboe
• Laura Reynolds, Macomb, graduate student, music and teaching certification in music, clarinet
• Susan Cangro, alumnus, bachelor of fine arts, flute
• Cristina Werling, alumnus, music, horn
• Rob Palmer, alumnus, music, horn
• Lindsey Ruberg, Burlington, Iowa, senior, music education, horn
• Vanessa Montelongo, Laredo, Texas, graduate student, music – instrumental performance, horn
For more information, visit monmouthcivicorchestra.wordpress.com.