WIU's Family Day to Feature Performance by .38 Special
September 11, 2013
MACOMB, IL – Western Illinois University's Family Day events will be held on Saturday, Sept. 28 and will include a carnival, golf outing, fun run, football game and a music performance on the outdoor festival stage at tailgating by 80s rock legends .38 Special.
The annual event for families of WIU students is coordinated by the University Union Board. The schedule includes a picnic for all students and their families from noon – 3 p.m. under the tent, north of Hanson Field.
Freshmen and their families will get free picnic meals with their student identification and invitation mailer. Meals for other students and their families are $6 per hot dog lunch and $7 per hamburger lunch.
This year's Family Day schedule includes:
• 8 – 10 a.m. – Family Day check in – First floor of the University Union.
• 8 a.m. – 9 p.m. - Spencer Student Recreation center open – Visitors must be accompanied by a student and admission is $5 per person at the door.
• 8 – 8:45 a.m. – Rocky 5K Run/Walk check-in – Spencer Student Recreation Center. Race starts at 9 a.m. – Registration is $5 per person in advance and $10 per person after Sept. 25.
• 10 a.m. – 8 p.m. – Chair massages at Spencer Student Recreation Center - $1 per minute.
• 8:30 a.m. – Family Day Golf Outing check-in – Harry Mussato Golf Course, 1215 Tower Road. The outing begins at 9 a.m. and registration is $18 per person for the two-person, nine-hole golf scramble. Pre-registration is required through wiu.edu/familyday.
• 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. - Leatherneck Game Day Tailgating, southwest corner of Q-Lot, enjoy socializing with student groups, administrators and others. Spots are first-come, first served. No glass containers are allowed and clean-up is required.
• 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. – Family Day information table – Hanson Field, near the tall flags.
• 11 a.m. – 3 p.m. – Family Day Carnival – Green space on the west side of Hanson Field and Campus Recreation.
• Noon – 3 p.m. – Family Day Picnic – north of Hanson Field. Fee for meals except for freshmen students and their families who pre-registered this summer.
• 1:15 – 2:30 p.m. – Tailgating Main Stage Concert - .38 Special, east QLot Festival Stage – free admission.
• 1 – 4 p.m. – Outdoor fun at Horn Field Campus, one mile south of Macomb on China Road. Climbing Tower is $5 per person. The corn maze will be open at the same time and also from 8 – 10 p.m. Admission is $5 per person.
• 3 p.m. – Leatherneck Football: WIU Leathernecks vs. South Dakota State – Student section tickets are $10 each and can be ordered through the registration website. Tickets can also be purchased at goleathernecks.com.
A variety of events will also be held Sunday, including Brunch in the Halls from 10 – 11 a.m. There are also a variety of family-related fun spots in Macomb, all listed on the Family Day website.
To register for Family Day events, visit www.student.services.wiu.edu/uub/family/form.asp.