Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
Students Encouraged to Schedule Academic Advising Appointments
September 16, 2013
MACOMB, IL – The Western Illinois University Council of Academic Advisors is encouraging students to make their academic advising appointments early so they can register for Spring 2014 during the preregistration period in November at WIU.
According to Phoebe Wilson, an academic advisor for students in the School of Law Enforcement and Justice Administration (LEJA), to ensure students get the courses they need to graduate on time, it is imperative that students register on time.
"Registering for classes during the advance registration dates gives students the widest choice of open classes," Wilson noted. "Advising appointments are being scheduled now. It is best to see an academic advisor in September or October so your registration is not delayed in November. Because some advisors are booked with appointments weeks in advance, don't delay. Get your advising appointment taken care of early. Students should see their advisors even if they have other holds or encumbrances."
Wilson said students can find their Spring 2014 advance registration appointments on the STARS registration screen, and the spring schedule will be available via course search beginning Monday, Sept. 16. Students can find their individual advisor's contact information via STARS.
A general summary of registration assignment periods for undergraduate students includes:
- Seniors: November 6, 7, 8, 11
- Juniors: November 11, 12, 13, 14
- Sophomores: November 14, 15, 18
- Freshmen: November 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
Undergraduates can also contact one of the five advising centers on campus to get the process started, Wilson said. Below is a list of how to contact advisors through the various advising centers or departmental advisor by college.
Centennial Honors College
For Honors advising:
- Non-transfer students: Molly Homer at (309) 298-2228
- Transfer students: Michele Aurand at (309) 298-2228
- Interdisciplinary studies majors: Michele Aurand at (309) 298-2586
College of Arts and Sciences (CAS)
In CAS, advising is handled within the academic departments. Contact your advisor (listed below) based on your major.
- African American studies: Caryn Morgan. To make appointment, sign up for a time outside Morgan Hall 203B
- Biology: Vicki Walters. To make an appointment, contact (309) 298-1546; stop by Waggoner 372; or send an email to Cindy Drasites at CS-Drasites@wiu.edu
- Chemistry: Jennifer Sandrik-Rubio. Sign up for an appointment time outside Currens Hall 303
- English and journalism: Ellen Poulter at (309) 298-1103 or stop by Simpkins 124
- Foreign languages: Caryn Morgan. Sign up for an appointment time outside Morgan Hall 203B
- Geography: Jennifer Sandrik-Rubio. Sign up for an appointment time outside Tillman Hall 415
- Geology: Jennifer Sandrik-Rubio. Sign up for an appointment time outside Tillman Hall 415
- History: Ralph Heissinger. Sign up for an appointment time outside Morgan Hall 436
- Liberal arts and sciences: Ralph Heissinger. Sign up for an appointment time outside Morgan Hall 436
- Mathematics: Caryn Morgan. Sign up for an appointment time outside Morgan Hall 203B
- Nursing: Theo Schultz at (309) 298-2571
- Philosophy and religious studies: Caryn Morgan. Sign up for an appointment time outside Morgan Hall 203B
- Physics: Jennifer Sandrik-Rubio. Sign up for an appointment time outside Currens Hall 303
- Political science: Sharon Keeling. Sign up for an appointment time outside Morgan 203F
- Psychology: Kitty Miller. Request an appointment using Zimbra's calendar function (instruction sheets are available on the bulletin board outside Waggoner Hall 154)
- Sociology and anthropology: Sharon Keeling. Sign up for appointment time outside Morgan Hall 203F
- Women's studies: Caryn Morgan. Sign up for an appointment time outside Morgan Hall 203B
College of Business and Technology (CBT)
CBT students majoring in agriculture, construction management, engineering (last name A-M), engineering technology or graphic communication are advised in the Knoblauch Hall Advising Center in Knoblauch 110 and can contact at staff there (309) 298-2100.
CBT students majoring in accountancy, computer science, economics, engineering (last name beginning with N-Z), finance, human resource management, information systems, management, marketing, network technologies or supply chain management can contact the CBT Advising Center in Stipes Hall 133 at (309) 298-1619.
College of Fine Arts and Communication (COFAC)
In COFAC: departmental advising and faculty advisors, so appointments are made either by sign-up sheet or by calling the advisor directly. Contacts are:
- Art: Call or email faculty member assigned as advisor (find contact information on STARS)
- Broadcasting: Michael Murray. Sign up for an appointment time outside Sallee Hall 300A
- Communication: Jennifer Grimm. Sign up for an appointment time outside Memorial Hall 335
- Communication sciences and disorders: Kate Pohlpeter. Sign up for an appointment time outside Memorial Hall 245
- Music: Call or email a faculty member assigned as advisor (find contact information on STARS)
- Theatre and dance: Call or email a faculty member assigned as advisor (find contact information on STARS)
College of Human Services and Education
Students in COEHS majoring in instructional design and technology, health sciences, law enforcement and justice administration, fire administration, fire protection services or teacher education can contact the advising center in Horrabin Hall 91 at (309) 298-1438.
- Athletic training: Renee Polubinsky at (309) 298-1820
- Kinesiology (exercise science, physical education): Julie Standard at (309) 298-1820 or stop by Brophy Hall 220
- Dietetics, fashion merchandising and hospitality (DFMH): Cheryl Hutchins at (309) 298-1085 or stop by Knoblauch Hall 140
- Social work: Cindy Dadello at (309) 298-1071
- Recreation, park and tourism administration: Keri Allison at (309) 298-1967
All other COEHS majors are part of the Advising Center in HH 91.
General studies degree program advisors are located in Horrabin Hall 6 and can be contacted at (309) 298-1929.
University Advising Program
The University Advising and Academic Services Center (UAASC) in Memorial Hall (lower level) provides advising for students in the University Advising (undecided) program, and students accepted through the Office of Academic Services. Call (309) 298-1846 or (309) 298-1871 to make an appointment.
WIU-QC students should contact the WIU-QC Advising Center. Information about individual department advisors for WIU-QC academic departments is available at www.wiu.edu/qc/academics/academic_advising/.