Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
Dads' Weekend Events at WIU Set for Oct. 25-27
October 4, 2013
MACOMB, IL – The Western Illinois University Parents and Family Association will host its annual Dads' Weekend Friday-Sunday, Oct. 25-27.
Dads, grandfathers, uncles or brothers are invited to visit their student for a schedule packed with activities. The schedule includes:
Friday, Oct. 25
• Dads' Weekend Check-In: noon – 6 p.m., University Union, first floor.
•Dad and Me Massages: 2 – 7 p.m., Spencer Student Recreation Center - Colgate Room, pre-arranged chair massage by certified therapist, $1 per minute, call (309) 298-1228 ext. 221 or 222.
• Opening Dinner Reception Check In: 6 – 6:30 p.m., University Union, Grand Ballroom lobby.
• Dads' Weekend Old Fashioned BBQ Reception: 6 p.m., University Union, Grand Ballroom, buffet dinner will begin at 6:30 p.m.
• Joshua Kane's "Borders of the Mind-The Psychic Show for the Whole Family" – 7:30 p.m., COFAC Recital Hall, Joshua Kane leads audiences through dazzling demonstrations of the powers of the mind. Students are admitted free and guests are $10 each.
• Noises Off: 7:30 p.m., Hainline Theatre, Frayn's brilliantly riotous romp cleverly follows the backstage antics and onstage calamities of a woefully inapt theater troupe trying to perform a comedy called "Nothing On." WIU students are admitted free, dads are $5 and guests are $10 each.
• Rialto Theater Special: 1401 E. Jackson St., all evening shows are $1 off for dads presenting the Dads' Weekend wristband.
• Haunted Heartland Walking Tour: 8 – 10 p.m., Sullivan Taylor Coffee Shop, southeast corner downtown Macomb, tour check in starts at 15 minutes prior to your selected time, your host and long-time resident, ghost historian, Tim Weaver, will lead you on this walking tour. Admissions is $10 per person and reservations must be made in advance.
• Flashlight Night at the Corn Maze: 8 – 10 p.m., Horn Field Campus, $5 admission.
• Rock and Bowl: 9:30 – 11:30 p.m., Diggers College City Bowl, WIU dads with a wristband will receive a free large soda with their purchase of Rock and Bowl.
Saturday, Oct. 26
• Indoor Kayaking Clinic: 8:30 a.m. - 1 p.m. Dr. Michael McGowan will teach an American Canoe Association Certification Clinic. All equipment (besides swimwear and towel) will be provided. This class is open to all skill levels, from beginners to seasoned kayakers. Space is limited.
• Dads' Weekend Check-In: 9 a.m. – 1 p.m., University Union Concourse, ground floor.
• Open Bass Tournament: 8 a.m. – 2 p.m., WIU Fishing Club, Schuy-Rush State Park, $50 entry fee per two-person team. To register email RL-Hunsicker@wiu.edu or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Cooking Breakfast with Dad: 8:30 – 10 a.m., Knoblauch Hall, room 230, this classroom experience will get fathers and students working in the kitchen to create a simple and delicious breakfast meal.
• Amateur Rocky's Two-Person Nine-Hole Golf Scramble: 8 a.m., Harry Mussatto Golf Course, shotgun start at 8:30 a.m., $43 per team, arrive at the course by 8 a.m. to confirm your team.
• Dynamic Duo Amazing Race: 10 a.m., Sherman Hall front steps - Dress up as your favorite dynamic duo and search the campus for clues to win our Amazing Race. Prizes for best costume, $10 per pair on the Dads' Weekend Registration page or $15 per pair, paid on site.
• Dad and Me Massages: 10 a.m. – 7 p.m., Spencer Student Recreation Center - Colgate Room, pre-arranged chair massage by certified therapist, $1 per minute. Reservations can be made by calling (309) 298-1228 ext. 221 or 222.
• Cooking Lunch with Dad: 10:15 a.m. – noon, Knoblauch Hall, room 230, this classroom experience will get fathers and students working in the kitchen to create a simple and a delicious meal.
• Beerfest: The Forum, noon – 6 p.m., 201 S. Lafayette St, Macomb Downtown Square, all participants must be 21 years and above to be admitted. Advanced tickets for this event are $5 for WIU student, $10 general public and $5 for Dads' Weekend participants who purchase their tickets on the Dads' Weekend registration page (WIU student must be present with student ID to pick up admission tickets to this event). Tickets at the door will be $6 for WIU students and dads and $12 for the public. Sampling tickets will be sold at the event for $1 for a single ticket, 6 for $5 or 12 for $10.
• Snack Attack: 12:15 – 1:45 p.m., Knoblauch Hall, room 230, this classroom experience will get fathers and students working in the kitchen to create great snacks to take along with them to the evening WIU football game.
• Open Bowling: 1 p.m. – midnight, Diggers College City Bowl, WIU dads with a Dads' Weekend wristband will receive free shoe rental with the purchase of one or more games.
• Competitive Advanced Rocky's Two-Person 18 Hole Golf Scramble: Noon, Harry Mussatto Golf Course, check in with a shotgun start at 12:30 p.m., $56 per team. This event is for advanced golfers only.
• High Ropes Course Experience: 1 – 4 p.m., Horn Field Campus, 985 China Rd., Macomb, $15 per person. Payment is collected on-site on a first-come, first-served basis, space is limited. All equipment and training is provided. You must at least 18 years old or accompanied by an adult.
• Corn Maze: 1 – 4 p.m., Horn Field Campus, 985 China Rd., Macomb. RPTA invites students and dads to celebrate "cornfusion" in our one of a kind corn maze. The Macomb corn maze is located at the WIU's Horn Field campus, on the south side of Macomb, $5 admission.
• Veterans Club Baggo Tournament: 2 p.m., Campus Recreation, outdoor venue, $10 per team or $5 per person. Money raised will go to a local charity for veterans. Each participant will have the opportunity to support the Veterans Club by purchasing one of their support our troops t-shirts. (Rain location Student Recreation Center).
• WIU Tailgate Opens: 3 p.m., Q-Lot near Campus Recreation.
• Saturday Night Leatherneck Football Game: 6 p.m., Hansen Field, watch the Leathernecks defeat Indiana State. WIU students are admitted free (general admission).
• Rialto Theater: 1401 E. Jackson St. All evening shows are $1 off for dads wearing their wristband.
• Volleyball Match: 7 p.m., Western Hall, WIU leathernecks vs Missouri State. Admission is free.
• Flashlight Night at the Corn Maze: 8 – 10 p.m., Horn Field Campus, 985 China Rd., $5 admission.
Sunday, Oct. 27
• 18-Holes of Golf: 8 a.m. – dusk, WIU Harry Mussatto Golf Course, dads and students can play 18 holes of golf for $25 per person with coupon. Cost includes cart rental.
• Dads' Farewell Western Illinois Breakfast Buffet: 9 – 11 a.m., University Union, Grand Ballroom, buffet-style dining.
• Racquetball: Noon – 11 p.m., call (309) 298-2797 to reserve your court, racquets and a racquetball will be provided.
• Open Bowling: 1 – 10 p.m., Diggers College City Bowl, WIU dads with a Dads' Weekend wristband will receive free shoe rental with the purchase of one or more games.
• Corn Maze: 1 – 4 p.m., Horn Field Campus, 985 China Rd., $5 admission.
• Open Swim and Hot Tub: 1 – 7 p.m., Spencer Student Recreation Center, aquatic equipment available.
To register for any of the events, visit student.services.wiu.edu/sac/weekend/index.asp.