Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
5th Annual Donna Phillips 5K Fun Run/Dog Walk March 29
March 17, 2014
MACOMB, IL – Spend a Saturday morning this spring with some furry friends and help students in Western Illinois University's Department of Kinesiology. The Fifth Annual Donna Phillips Memorial 5K Fun Run and Dog Walk is set for Saturday, March 29 on the Western Illinois University-Macomb campus. The event is held in honor of long-time kinesiology department faculty member and department chairperson, the late Donna Phillips.
The 5K Fun Run is slated to start at 9:30 a.m., the 5K Dog Run is scheduled to begin at 9:35 a.m. and the Dog Walk (one- or two-mile routes) will start at 9:40 a.m. Race packet pick up begins at 8:30 a.m. in the Brophy Hall Gym, and the event will be held rain or shine.
The registration fee is $25, and pre-registration is due on or before Friday, March 21 (late and day-of-event registration will be accepted until 9:15 a.m. March 29). All pre-registered individuals will receive a race-day t-shirt and gift. Late and day-of-event registrants will receive a gift only. Prizes will be given to winners in different categories for the fun run, dog run and dog walk.
Proceeds from the event will pay for the costs associated with the event (gifts, prizes, etc.), and the remaining funds will be applied to the following:
- 50 percent of the proceeds raised will be directed toward the Donna Phillips Scholarship Fund;
- 50 percent of the proceeds raised will be divided evenly among the various student clubs that have assisted with the event. The student clubs will be able to use this money to help defray costs for such things as travel and registration to professional conferences, trips and other events they may choose to sponsor; and
- The money collected from optional donations will go directly to the fund specified.
Student clubs involved with the organization/management of the 2014 Run/Walk include:
- ESSA (Exercise Science students)
- ATSA (Athletic Training students)
- APEK (Physical Education students)
- PES (Kinesiology Honor Society Students)
The 2014 Donna Phillips Memorial 5K Fun Run/Dog Walk will begin and end at Brophy Hall (east entrance). Leashes are required and waste bags will be provided.
More information about Phillips' career at WIU is available at www.wiu.edu/coehs/kinesiology/donnaphillipsrun/history.php.
Download the registration form at www.wiu.edu/coehs/kinesiology/donnaphillipsrun/registration.php. For more information, contact the WIU kinesiology department at (309) 298-1981.