Rocker Rick Springfield to Headline WIU's Family Day Celebration
August 26, 2014
MACOMB, IL – If you have ever dreamt that Rick Springfield was singing his mega-hit "Jessie's Girl" just to you, now is your chance to experience it as the rocker, author and actor will visit Western Illinois University as part of the school's annual Family Day celebration Saturday, Sept. 13.
Springfield will perform from 1:30–2:30 p.m. in the Q-Lot tailgating area on the WIU-Macomb campus. The concert, sponsored by the University Union Board, is open free to WIU students and their families, as well as to the public. The musical performance takes place prior to the start of the WIU Leathernecks' 1000th home football game.
The Grammy Award-winning rock star's appeal spans more than four decades, with his most recent musical release, "Songs for the End of the World," spawning hits such as "Our Ship's Sinking" and "I Hate Myself." He also recently authored and released his second book, "Magnificent Vibration," which placed him on the New York Times Bestseller List for the second time. Springfield also recently unveiled his star on Hollywood's Walk of Fame.
Family Day at WIU is a chance for students and their relatives to get involved in a variety of campus activities. Events planned as part of this year's event include:
Saturday, Sept. 13
• Two-person, nine-hole golf scramble, Harry Mussato Golf Course, 1215 Tower Road, check-in at 8:30 a.m., with a 9 a.m. start time. The fee is $18 per person, and pre-registration is required. Call (309) 298-3676 for details.
• Leatherneck Game Day Tailgating, 10 a.m.–4 p.m., southwest corner of Q-Lot. Spots are first-come, first serve.
• Family Day T-Shirt Sales, 11 a.m.–3 p.m., Hanson Field grounds, near the tall flags.
• Student Assistance and Parent Service Center (SAPSC) – 11:30 a.m., Hanson Field grounds, free popcorn – learn how to join the Parent Association.
• Family Day Picnic, Noon–3 p.m., under the tent north of Hanson Field, free meals, one per person, until the supply runs out. Menu includes hot dogs and hamburgers.
• WIU Leatherneck Football vs. Drake Bulldogs, 3 p.m., Hanson Field. Advance tickets available at goleathernecks.com or call (309) 298-1190.
Several activities for families have also been scheduled for Sunday, Sept. 14:
• Brunch in the Halls, 11 a.m. – 1:30 p.m., Thompson or Corbin/Olson dining centers, cash and student cards accepted for a la carte Sunday brunch.
• Macomb area restaurants will be serving breakfast.
• Ball Fore Family Fun Center, U.S. Route 136, west of Macomb – offering miniature golf at $5 per person, batting cages for $1 per token for 12 pitches, a golf driving range at $5 per bucket of balls and free sand volleyball and basketball courts.
• Horn Field Campus Outdoor Fun – Just off South Johnson Street, one mile south of Macomb. Open 1 - 4 p.m. Visit wiu.edu/hfc for list of activities.
• Spring Lake Park – Located two miles north of Macomb on U.S. Route 67 – turn left at Spring Lake Road and go 1.8 miles, entrance is on the right. Open 5:30 a.m. – 10 p.m. for fishing, boating, hiking, camping and other outdoor activities.
For more information on Family Day activities, visit wiu.edu/student_services/university_union_board/family_day/.