7th Annual Donna Phillips 5K Fun Run/Dog Walk April 2
March 7, 2016
MACOMB, IL – It's set to be a "paw"fect weekend opportunity for some exercise and fun with some furry friends at the Western Illinois University Department of Kinesiology's Seventh Annual Donna Phillips Memorial 5K Fun Run and Dog Walk! The event, slated to start at 9:30 a.m. Saturday, April 2 on the WIU-Macomb campus, is held every year in honor of long-time kinesiology department faculty member and department chairperson, the late Donna Phillips.
Start time for the 5K Fun Run is at 9:30 a.m., and the 5K Dog Run is scheduled to begin at 9:35 a.m., with the Dog Walk (1.33 mile route or 2.19 mile route) set to start at 9:40 a.m. Race packet pick up begins at 8:30 a.m. in the Brophy Hall Gym, and the event will be held rain or shine.
The pre-registration fee is $25 and it must be received no later than Friday, March 25 or be hand delivered by noon Monday, March 28 to the WIU Department of Kinesiology office, Brophy Hall 212. Late registration will be accepted until 9:15 a.m. the day of the event. All pre-registered individuals will receive a race day t-shirt and gift, and late registrants will receive the gift only. Prizes will be given to winners in different categories for Fun Run, Dog Run and Dog Walk.
Proceeds from the event will pay for the costs associated with the event (gifts, prizes, etc.), and the remaining funds will be applied to the following:
- 50 percent of the proceeds raised will be directed toward the Donna Phillips Scholarship Fund;
- 50 percent of the proceeds raised will be divided evenly among the various student clubs that have assisted with the event. The student clubs will be able to use this money to help defray costs for such things as travel and registration to professional conferences, trips and other events they may choose to sponsor; and
- The money collected from optional donations will go directly to the fund specified.
Student clubs involved with the organization/management of the 2016 Run/Walk include:
- ESSA (Exercise Science students)
- ATSA (Athletic Training students)
- APEK (Physical Education students)
- PES (Kinesiology Honor Society Students)
The 2016 Donna Phillips Memorial 5K Fun Run/Dog Walk will begin and end at Brophy Hall (east entrance). Leashes are required and waste bags will be provided.
More information about Phillips' career at WIU is available at www.wiu.edu/coehs/kinesiology/donnaphillipsrun/history.php.
Download the registration form at www.wiu.edu/coehs/kinesiology/donnaphillipsrun/registration.php. For more information, contact the WIU kinesiology department at (309) 298-1981.