Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
Timely Warning: Burglaries
October 20, 2010
MACOMB, IL -- Western Illinois University Director of Public Safety Bob Fitzgerald has issued a notice to students regarding recent burglaries from residence hall rooms.
On Oct. 20 two students from Thompson Hall reported that while they were sleeping during the late afternoon hours someone entered their unlocked residence hall room and stole money and other items. One of the residents woke after hearing the door close, and discovered the missing items.
On Oct. 15 a student Tanner Hall reported that he woke up to find two unknown males in his unlocked residence hall room going through his belongings. After yelling at the subjects, the pair fled from the room. Nothing was found to be missing.
Fitzgerald reminds students to guard personal property by locking their room. Students also should be observant of suspicious behavior and report anything out of the ordinary to the Office of Public Safety at 298-1949. Individuals with information about the recent burglaries should also be reported to OPS.
Other safety tips recommended by OPS include:
1. Be aware of your surroundings. When walking, place books and other valuable items in a backpack.
2. Don't leave backpacks, purses, bags or books unattended. It only takes a moment for someone to steal unattended backpacks or books.
3. Students should lock their room when they leave, even if it's just for a few minutes, and when sleeping. The majority of burglaries reported to OPS involve unlocked residence hall rooms.
4. Avoid leaving items in plain view in a vehicle overnight.
5. Don't leave laundry unattended in the laundry rooms.
Posted By: WIU News, University Relations
Phone: (309) 298-1993 * Fax: (309) 298-1606