Quad Cities Campus
"Best Midwestern College," "Top Tier Midwestern University" Among WIU Honors
For the ninth year in a row, The Princeton Review has named Western Illinois University a "Best Midwestern College."
Western was one of 155 regional universities, and one of three Illinois public institutions, named a "Best Midwestern College" by The Princeton Review. The 155 colleges that The Princeton Review chose for its "Best in the Midwest" list are located in 12 states: Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota and Wisconsin. Collectively, the 643 colleges named "regional best(s)" comprise 25 percent of the nation's 2,500 four-year colleges, according to The Princeton Review.
As part of the "2014 Best Colleges: Region by Region" project, The Princeton Review asks students to rate their own schools on several issues, from the accessibility of their professors to quality of the campus food, and to answer questions about themselves, their fellow students and their campus life. WIU students reported high marks for affordability and academic programs, as well as professors who are accessible.
Western was recently designated for the fourth consecutive year as a "Military Friendly School" by G.I. Jobs Magazine. According to G.I. Jobs, the 2013 Military Friendly Schools list recognizes the top 20 percent of colleges, universities and trade schools that are doing the most to embrace America's military service members and veterans as students. In addition, for the third consecutive year, Western has been selected as a "Best for Vets College" by Military Times EDGE magazine. Western, ranked 22nd (up four spots from 2011), is the only Illinois four-year university in the top 25. Visit our Veterans Resource Center for more details.
Did You Know?
- WIU among the top tier of best regional universities and ranked 13th as a top public school among "Best Midwestern University" - U.S. News and World Report's Annual College Rankings 2013 edition.
- WIU is one of 39 public universities included among the 107 Midwestern college and universities recognized as top tier "Best Regional Universities" - U.S.News and World Report.
- WIU among 32 higher education institutions in the nation recognized as a model for helping students stay on track and graduate - HCM Strategists "Opportunity Knocks."
- WIU among the best of 650 institutions - Forbes
- WIU among the best of 553 master's universities in the U.S. - Washington Monthly
- WIU recognized for its commitment to service learning - The Carnegie Foundation's Community Engagement Classification & the President's Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll.
- WIU among three Illinois public universities cited for retention of first-generation and low-income students - The Center for Student Opportunity
- WIU has been recognized as a "best practice" model institution among just 15 U.S. colleges and universities (and the only Illinois university cited) - Southern Regional Educational Board
- WIU is the only Illinois public university and the only Midwestern public university recognized for successful graduation rates for Hispanic students - The Education Trust