Western Illinois University - Quad Cities - Academics
Web Tools and Search Bar
Quad Cities Campus
Summer 2014 Financial Aid Information
Complete the WIU Summer 2014 Financial Aid Application to have your aid eligibility determined for the Summer 2014 semester.
The Application Process
- Complete the WIU Summer 2014 Financial Aid Application online.
- File both 2013-2014 and 2014-2015 FAFSAs at www.fafsa.gov if you have not already done so.
- Watch for requests for verification documents if you are selected for verification for either year.
- A minimum of three weeks should be expected for processing the application by the Financial Aid Office.
- Notifications about your application and eligibility will be sent to your WIU email account.
Expected Processing Timeline
- Due to a larger than normal number of 2014-15 FAFSAs recently received, we have a backlog to review at the same time we are reviewing Summer applications. Applications and FAFSA files are reviewed in date order.
If your summer application was submitted online:
Expect your emailed award notice, or a request for additional information, no sooner than*:
|Prior to March 31||April 28|
|March 31-April 4||April 25|
|April 5-11||May 2|
|April 12-18||May 9|
|April 19-25||May 16|
|April 26 - May 2||May 23|
|May 3-9||May 30|
|May 10-16||June 6|
*Please allow more time to complete processing if additional information is requested during the review
- If not already filed, a 2013-2014 FAFSA must be FILED BY JUNE 30, 2014 to be eligible for a federal loan.
- A minimum of six hours of degree course work is required for federal loan eligibility.
- Summer loans are normally an extension of your academic year eligibility. In most instances, the amount you borrowed during the 2013-14 academic year will affect your eligibility for summer borrowing.
- Unsubsidized Loan interest begins accruing at 3.86% from the time the loan is disbursed until it is paid in full. No payments are required until after enrollment ceases or drops below six hours.
- Go to www.studentloans.gov, login with your FAFSA PIN, complete and submit the information, if:
- You have not previously done a Master Promissory Note.
- You are a first time borrower and have not completed the Entrance Counseling.
- You may be eligible for a 2014 Summer Pell Grant if:
- You were Pell-eligible during the 2013-14 school year AND you attended less than full-time during the 2013-14 school year, OR
- You are graduating Summer or Fall 2014 AND are Pell-eligible after completing the 2014-15 FAFSA review process.
- The Federal Pell Grant will not pay for graduate courses, some repeat courses, audit courses, deleted courses if the charges are also deleted, or courses you did not attend or for which you did not complete any work.
- The Illinois MAP Grant is not funded for Summer terms.
- The Commitment Scholarship is not awarded for Summer terms.
Disbursement of Aid
- The Financial Aid Office is required to recertify your aid eligibility (including loans) before your funds are released to your university billing account. Changes to your schedule could affect your aid eligibility.
- Your summer aid could be withdrawn if you fail to meet WIU Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements. See the Satisfactory Academic Progress Requirements in the Handbook & Policies/Eligibility section. You will be notified by WIU email after Spring grades are posted if you did not make satisfactory progress.
- See the Repeated Coursework section of Handbook & Policies/Eligibility if you are repeating a course.
- The earliest that aid can be credited to your university billing account is May 23, 2014.
- The earliest that refunds can be disbursed to your personal account is May 30, 2014.
- If you change enrollment after a refund is disbursed, you may owe money back to the university.