Top Navigation

Side Navigation

Admission Examinations for Graduate Students

Prior to admission to certain programs, the student must take the Graduate Record Examination General Test (GRE), the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT), or the Miller Analogies Test (MAT).

Applicants to those programs requiring the GRE, GMAT, or MAT are encouraged to complete this test either in their senior year of undergraduate work or before filing an application for admission. For further information on the GRE and places where it may be taken, contact the Educational Testing Service (, or the University Counseling Center, Western Illinois University, 1 University Circle, Macomb, IL 61455-1390. Information on the GMAT can be obtained at Information on the MAT can be obtained at by clicking on post-secondary education, or by contacting the University Counseling Center.

Graduate Record Examination (GRE) Test Preparation

GRE Test Preparation

Informal preparation classes presented by Dr. Matt Blankenship from the WIU Department of Psychology are available on the dates below, for students needing to take the GRE general exam for Graduate School Application:

Tuesday - Thursday Sessions: March 25th and 27th & April 1st and 3rd
Video Conference Room: Riverfront 218 from 3:30-4:30pm

$5 minimum donation to Psi Chi/ Psychology Club per session is required.

Commitment on your part to attend the four prep sessions will assist you in familiarization and strategies for GRE success! It is recommended that you buy a prep book, but it is not required. It is available from and other online sources for a reasonable price.

If you are interested, contact Ryan Colclasure at:

The Kaplan GRE exam 2013 with CD-ROM (Kaplan GRE Exam), is recommended but not required. But it is strongly advised that you get one of the books with practice tests prior to taking the GRE.