Quad Cities Campus
GEMS (Graduate Experience for Museum Studies) is a Graduate student organization designed to expose students to a variety of exciting experiences in museum studies. Its mission is: To promote interest in museums, to provide fellowship among students and faculty interested in museums, and to provide a forum for innovative ideas that will benefit the WIU-QC community. GEMS fulfills this mission by providing its members with opportunities such as:
- Volunteering at local and regional museums and institutions
- Hosting annual workshops and symposiums to enhance student and museum professional’s careers and knowledge with hands on activities that relate to issues in museums and presentations dealing with museum based studies and/or experiences
- Offering opportunities for field trips to museums that provide participants with behind-the-scenes access to museums around the Midwest
- Attending museum conferences and workshops
- Encourage networking within the museum field
- Hosting social events
GEMS holds monthly meetings and invites anyone who is interested in learning more about the organization to attend. GEMS is open to all majors.
President: Victoria House
Vice President: Ju Huang
Secretary: Erin Pilarski
Treasurer: Kelly Hanson
Meetings are held the last Thursday of every month at 5:30 pm at the Figge Art Museum.
GEMS Advisor: Interim Advisor Don McLean
Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/pages/WIU-Museum-Studies/66572855637