Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
Beu Health Center
Student Health Insurance
**New Plan Beginning Fall 2013**
The Student Health Insurance policy is currently undergoing a change from self-insurance to a fully insured plan. At this time we are unable to verify any information about the new policy. Once the decision is finalized, ALL students and staff will be notified of the change. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Student Health Insurance is mandatory for all Western Illinois University students who are taking 9 semester hours or more or more of on-campus classes*. The Student Health Insurance should be used along with existing family coverage, and student insurance is suggested as way to provide the student with guaranteed coverage, 24 hours a day protection and a very low deductible in the event of accident or illness. WIU’s Student Insurance will provide help for mental health and substance abuse issues, as well as hospital stays, maternity care and ambulance transport.
The Student Health Insurance office is located in the Lower Level of Beu Health Center. Call (309) 298-1882 for more information. Hearing Impaired Students call TTY: (309) 298-1856.
Insurance Services - What We Can Do For You
- Get $$ back from your visit to Beu
- Guide you to understanding insurance after you graduate
- Help you understand your outside coverage (if you have it)
- Help complete complicated insurance forms from outside carriers
2012-2013 Student Health Insurance Benefits
Benefits at a Glance
|Lifetime Maximum Benefits||$250,000|
|The deductible must be paid before the benefits can be utilized.
This does not apply to Beu Health Center.
|$200 per policy year|
Must obtain care within 48 hours
|80% of UCR|
|Emergency Room Visit – Referred by Beu Health Center or Out-of-Area||80% of UCR|
|Hospital Room and Board||80% of UCR|
|Hospital Miscellaneous Benefit||80% of UCR|
|Surgical Benefit||80% of UCR|
|Assistant Surgeon Benefit||50% of UCR|
|Anesthetist Benefit||80% of UCR|
|Doctor’s Visits – Inpatient and Outpatient||80% of UCR|
|Outpatient Diagnostic X-Ray and Laboratory Test Expense||80% of UCR|
|Accidental Dental Benefit Injury to Sound Natural Teeth||80% of UCR
maximum $500 per tooth
|Chiropractic Benefit||80% of UCR
$30 per visit up to a maximum of
$500 per policy year
|Consultant Benefit||80% of UCR|
|Mental Nervous Benefit***
|80% of UCR
50% of UCR, $2,000 max per policy year/1 visit per week
|Alcohol and Substance Abuse Benefit***
|80% of UCR
50% of UCR, one visit per week:
$30 max per visit;
$2,000 max per policy year
|Ambulance Benefit||80% of UCR|
|Maternity Benefit||80% of UCR|
|Physiotherapy Benefit||80% of UCR past surgical
or referral from Beu Health Center
$500 maximum per policy year
|Beu Health Center||no deductible applied
100% of approved charges
**Referral from Campus Health Center is required.
***Combined Lifetime maximum for mental illness and alcohol, and substance abuse is $20,000.
Note: Student must be insured at the time medical expense in incurred for benefits listed above to apply. Any other insurance coverage is used in determining the amount of benefit payable under this Plan.
Other insurance coverage is used in determining the amount of benefits payable under this Policy.
Note: Student MUST be insured at the time medical expense is incurred.
Note: The Student Health Insurance Plan or costs associated with the plan may change periodically. Please check with Student Insurance for current plan and rates.
The plan protects all eligible students 24 hours a day. Continuous year-round coverage is available if the student maintains 9 semester hours, undergraduate or graduate, during the fall and spring semesters.
- Fall Semester: 08/01/12 (12:01 a.m.) to 1/31/13 (midnight)
- Spring Semester: 02/01/13 (12:01 a.m.) to 07/31/13 (midnight)
All students who are registered for 9 undergraduate or graduate semester hours during the Fall and Spring Terms* will be eligible for coverage under this Plan. All graduate assistants under contract with the University and enrolled in on-campus classes, WESL students and Spoon River College students residing in University housing are also assessed the fee for this coverage. All students eligible for coverage under this Plan will be assessed a Student Health Insurance fee on their University bill.
*excluding post session, extension, correspondence, extramural or on-line hours
Students can also sign-up for coverage by contacting the Student Health Insurance Office.
- Extension, on-line and WIU-QC students who register for 9, 10 or 11 hours. Application to be made during the first ten days of the term. Application must be made each semester coverage is desired.
- Undergraduate and graduate students who require less than 9 hours to graduate, have graduate clearance forms on file, and are registered for 6, 7 or 8 hours. Applications are to be made during the first ten days of the term.
- Insured graduating students who will not be enrolled in classes during the term following graduation. Application to be made prior to the last day of the covered period. Coverage for these students is available for 3 months.
- Student per Semester: $369.19
- Graduating Students: $184.60 (3 months coverage)
In the event of an injury or illness, an insured student MUST:
- If on campus or residing locally, report to Beu Health Center for proper medical treatment or referral.
- For outpatient treatment of mental illness or substance abuse, contact the Director of the Counseling Center and/or Director of Beu Health Center to determine if a professional non-University referral is necessary.
- If away from the University, a) consult a Physician; b) contact the Student Health Insurance office for claim forms.
- An insurance claim form along with itemized bills with diagnosis must be submitted to the Student Health Insurance Office within 52 weeks from the date of medical expense to be eligible for benefits.
Student Health Insurance
Western Illinois University's Student Accident and Illness Insurance Plan is intended to supplement and complement services normally available to students through Beu Health Center. Services of the Health Center are available to all students. Even if you are not covered by Student Insurance, you may still use the Health Center at no additional charge. The Student Health Insurance Office is located in the lower level of Beu Health Center.