Outdoor Pursuits wants to involve you in a variety of experiences whether you are a novice or experienced outdoors person. Outdoor trips will include, but are not limited to camping, hiking/backpacking, caving, kayaking, educational tours, etc. No Experience is Necessary for Any of Our Trips! No refunds will be issued for Outdoor Pursuits events except in the case of cancellation by Campus Recreation.
Check out our 2014 spring semester trips below.
Weekend Rentals for Basic Camping Gear
- Friday Pickup and Monday Return
- Tent | $7.00/weekend
- Sleeping Bag | $5.00/weekend
- Backpacks | $5.00/weekend
- Sleeping Pads | $3.00/weekend
- 6-gallon Water Jug | $3.00/weekend
Late, repair, and replacement fees may apply if equipment is not returned clean, on time, and in working order. Contact Pat McGrath, Director of Aquatics and Outdoor Pursuits, at P-McGrath@wiu.edu or 309-298-1228, x238, for details.
Canoeing Trip at Peace of Earth Lodge, Rushville, IL
Saturday - Sunday, September 20-21 - $25.00/person
Register by WEdnesday, September 17.
Day Hike, Argyle Lake State Park, Colchester, IL FREE!
Wednesday, September 14. Register by Monday, September 22.
Caving Trip at Maquoketa Caves State Park, Maquoketa, IA
Friday-Sunday, September 26-28 - $25.00/person
Register by Wednesday, September 24.
Fall Break Backpacking Trip at Shawnee National Forest, Simpson, IL
Friday-Sunday, October 10-13 - $25.00/person
Register by Wednesday, October 8.
Camping Trip at Mark Twain State Park, Florida, MO
Saturday-Sunday, October 25-26 - $25.00/person
Register by Wednesday, October 22.
Pumpkin Launch, Vince Grady Field FREE!
Friday, October 31. Register by Wednesday, October 29.
Indoor Kayaking, Spencer Student Recreation Center Pool
Saturday, November 1 - $10.00/person
Register by Wednesday, October 29.
Indoor Rock Climbing, So iLL Climbing Gym, St. Louis, MO
Sunday, November 9 - $25.00/person
Register by Wednesday, November 5.
- Pat McGrath, Assistant Director of Outdoor Pursuits and Aquatics
- Austin Pearson, Outdoor Pursuits Graduate Assistant, AT-Pearson2@wiu.edu
Past Adventure Trips
- Canoe trip to Emiquon Nature Preserve
- Backpacking at Hawn State Park in Missouri
- Backpacking at Cuivre River State Park in Missouri
- Climbing Night at Horn Field Campus climbing tower
- Horn Field Campus Corn Maze
- Wednesday Walk in the Woods at Lake Argyle State Park
- Indoor Climbing at Upper Limits in Bloomington, IL
- Camping in Shawnee National Forrest
- Day Hikes
- Indiana Dunes Camping Trip in Indiana Dunes, Indiana
Shawnee National Forest/Garden of the Gods Camping/Hiking, September 23-25, 2011
Mammoth Cave Wild Cave Tour, October 7-9, 2011