Creating a Portfolio
Portfolios are a great way to showcase your experience, skills, and relevant projects to a prospective employer during a job interview. Depending on your industry, you may have either an electronic portfolio or a hard-copy. Most hard-copy portfolios are created using a 3-ring binder and plastic sheet protectors to protect your documents. Electronic portfolios can be created by saving files on a compact disk (CD) or creating an on-line website. Weebly.com is a good site to create an online portfolio and the basic features are free to use.
While all portfolios are different depending on the job and industry, here are some ideas for materials to put into your portfolio.
- Cover Letter, Resume, References
- Letters of Recommendation
- Documents, Research Papers, and PowerPoints of projects you have completed that are related to the job you are applying for
- Any documents or materials that relate to the job description qualifications (i.e. certificates of completion for workshop classes, transcripts, awards, etc.)
- Work Evaluations
- Photos that represent your professional work