Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
The Office of Career Services is happy to offer Skype and telephone interview capabilities in one of our recruiting rooms in Memorial Hall 125. This is a free service to students.
Guidelines for Interview Room (Skype & Telephone) Services at WIU Career Services
- You must schedule the time and date of your interview with WIU Career Services to make sure the room is available. Call 298-1838.
- You must have your own personal Skype account to utilize this service. We can help you set one up if you need assistance.
- Skype is a free service and you are allowed to use it for interview/career purposes as many times as necessary.
- For telephone interviews, you must give the employer the appropriate telephone number (309) 298-3351. Please do not call the employer, make sure they call you.
- If you do call the employer, you will be charged for the telephone fees associated with your phone call.
- The Interview Room is available starting at 8:30 a.m. and will close at 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- Make sure that your Internet connection is strong, otherwise there are major delays and increased stress levels
- When setting-up the interview, make sure of any time zone differences
- Familiarize yourself with the chat function on Skype to help if you encounter technical difficulties
- Make sure you are in a quiet well-lit area in order to avoid distractions
- Use earphones with a built-in microphone to aid in sound quality
- Always adjust the online status buttons appropriately. If you are on "offline" or "do not disturb" mode, you will not be able to make contact
- If your picture/sound quality is poor, hang up, and call the person back
- Be sure to dress professionally from head to toe. You never can tell, the employer may ask you to stand up
- Look at the web-cam and not the center of the screen, so that you are making "eye-contact"
- Make sure that you are not disturbed; no roommates, pets, cell phones, land-lines, i-pods, or delivery drivers