Financial Aid Handbook & Policies
Students Rights and Responsibilities
Financial aid funds received at WIU may only be used to pay for tuition, fees, books, supplies, room and board, and other educational expenses (including approved study abroad expenses). Financial aid is not for non-educational expenses.
Returning students may not use future financial aid funds to pay outstanding expenses from a prior term. Future financial aid funds may not be released until University expenses from prior terms have been paid.
You must reapply for aid each academic year. The Department of Education will send a Personal Identification Number (PIN) instead of a paper renewal application by December 31. If you lose your PIN or never receive one, a duplicate or new PIN can be requested at www.pin.ed.gov. If you prefer to use a paper worksheet, one is available on the FAFSA website. We encourage use of the Web for filing because it is usually faster and more accurate. Financial aid may be withheld if you:
- withdraw from school and fail to repay federal aid (if required to repay)
- are in default on a previous Federal loan
- fail to meet Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements
- take less than 6 credit hours or register for audit hours
- are not in a degree/approved program
If you accept federal aid and withdraw from school or reduce your class load, you may have to repay some or all aid received. In addition, WIU may be required to return any refunds to state or federal programs (rather than to you).
If you knowingly or unknowingly misrepresented information on which this offer was made, your awards may be adjusted.
In the event that anticipated federal and state funds are not available, the Financial Aid Office reserves the right to adjust its offer. If an error was made determining eligibility, the University must make corrections as necessary.
Please notify the Financial Aid Office if you:
- Decide not to attend WIU or don't plan to attend both semesters.
- Change your name (marriage, etc.).
- Discover a problem with your social security number.
- Receive assistance not listed on your award letter