Housing Policy, Releases, Contract Breakage & Non-Compliance Charge
Because living in the residence hall is such an important part of your college experience, all freshmen and sophomore students (defined as less than 60 credit hours) are required to live in a University residence hall. All exceptions to this policy must be approved in writing through the petition process.
Necessary Documentation for Petition
Documentation relating to the reason(s) for seeking exceptions to the residency policy or release from the residence hall agreement is necessary for the following:
- Medical: A UHDS Request for a Medical Housing Exemption form should be obtained and completed by your personal physician. In addition to your doctor’s statement, your medical history and treatment protocol should be sent with your petition. A copy of the physician's statement and the attached form may be sent to Beu Health Center or the University Counseling Center. After receiving such information, the Beu Health Center or University Counseling Center will forward their evaluation to University Housing and Dining Services Office for use in consideration of your request.
- Dietary: Should follow same procedures as for Medical. Vegetarian diets are not accepted as basis for exception because sufficient food variety is available in residence hall food service units.
- Marriage: Marriage must eventually be substantiated by a copy of the marriage certificate. Failure to file the certificate within one week of the marriage or failure to marry nullifies any exception approval. If a release is requested prior to the marriage, the priest, minister, rabbi, etc., who is to perform the marriage must provide a letter confirming the student's intent to marry.
- Living with Parents or Immediate Family: A statement from parents or legal guardian verifying that the student will reside at the same address as a member of immediate family is required. If a student wishes to live with a relative other than his/her parents, a statement must be sent from the parents and the relative with whom the student intends to live. Brothers and sisters who are students at WIU do not qualify and a student will not be granted an exemption or be released from his/her residence hall contract to live off campus with them.
- Military: A minimum of one year active duty military service verifiable by providing a copy of discharge information (DD 214).
- Other: Please provide appropriate documentation supporting any request in this category.
Petitions may be picked up in Seal Hall, the Student Assistance & Parent Service Center or downloaded in electronic form. All medical exemptions must include this additional form completed by the student and their physician. Instructions for petitioning are with the petition and all required documentation supporting the petition must accompany the petition when it is turned in.
Petition Review Procedures
- Upon receipt of all the required information, the University Housing and Dining Services Office will evaluate your request. You will be notified of a decision as soon as possible. Typically, a decision will be rendered no later than one week after all documentation has been filed in the University Housing and Dining Services Office. All decisions will be communicated in writing.
- If the student's request for an exception is denied, the student may appeal the decision. An appeal request letter should be submitted in writing to the Housing Appeal Board, University Housing and Dining Services, indicating that it is a petition appeal. Additional information or clarification may be presented or requested and an appointment may be scheduled through the Assistant Vice President's secretary. If the appeal is not approved, the student may submit a final appeal to the Assistant Vice President for Student Services.
- Submission of an appeal does not relieve a student of any current financial or residency obligations.
- Students who receive approval for a change of local residency are required to complete a change of address card in the Registrar's Office.
- Students who receive approval for release from the residence halls, and have a current housing contract, must fill out a Contract Cancellation Form in Seal Hall before being officially released from their contract. The student must also follow correct checkout procedures in the residence hall.
Meal Plan Refund Information
At the end of the Fall Semester (December), any unused money on your meal plans rolls into the next semester. At the end of the Spring Semester (May), depending on your Dining Plan Code (i.e. J, K, L, M, N, O, etc; based on your date of acceptance to the University) refunds are sent to the address on your University file. Students on Dining Plan J or later (entrance to WIU in Fall 2008 or later) will receive up to $250 ($125 per semester) of any unused meal plan funds. Students on Plan I or earlier will receive a refund for any unused value over $1.00. Students withdrawing from the University will be subject to a prorated meal plan adjustment.
A student cancels their contract who is considered inactive (not registered for classes) for the following semester.
A student cancels their contract who is considered active (registered for classes) for the following semester and does not have an approved petition to break contract will be assessed the following fee...
Note: The $50 processing fee is non-refundable in any instance.
A student cancels their contract and is considered active (registered for and attending classes) for the following semester and does not have an approved petition to break contract will be assessed the following fee...
A student cancels their contract and is considered inactive (not registered for classes/leaves University) not assessed a breakage fee
Fraternity/sorority releases, WESL Students and students who leave or depart the University Because of Academic Suspension or Academic Dismissal are not assessed breakage fees.
Students who do not live in the residence hall, but have not been officially released may be subject to a non-compliance charge that equals the double room rate (see above).