Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
University Housing & Dining
2012 Winter Break Closing Information
All residence halls close for Winter break at 7:00 PM on Friday, December 14. If you need to stay past the closing time, you must have permission from your Complex Director. (See your information desk for details, must sign up by Thursday, December 13). The latest approved time to stay is 6:00 PM on Saturday, December 15. Residents who do not leave before 6:00 PM will be trespassed by hallstaff and/or the Office of Public Safety.
Residents must vacate 24 hours after their last final. Residents must get approval from the Headstaff of the building to stay after that 24 hour period.
All halls will re-open on Sunday, January 13 at 10:00 am.
- Close all windows and blinds.
- Remove all trash from your room. There is a $6 fine for failure to remove trash from your room upon leaving
- Remove all food items that are not stored in a sealed container. Throw away all food that may be perishable. The University is not responsible for power disruptions that may occur.
- Move all belongings three feet away from the heater.
- Talk with your RA about extension cords and make sure they comply with Residence Hall policy to avoid fines.
- Defrost your refrigerator. Leave everything unplugged and your door open - we suggest that you put a towel on the floor in front of the door to help.
- The temperature in your room will be reduced to 55 Degrees Fahrenheit. This may affect plants and fish.
- All rooms will be inspected for health and safety reasons. You may be fined or processed judicially for items against residence hall policy are seen in plain sight. Both occupants will be held responsible. (we will fine each resident a split charge for violations)**
- The hall could be sprayed for pest control. You may want to cover up dishes and other items you deem appropriate.
- Lock your door and turn off your light. Do not let other people into your room after you have left. Please make sure to take all items with you when leaving for break. Once the building is closed you will not be allowed back in during the break period.
**Any items that are against residence hall policies will be confiscated and documented for follow-up. In some cases, a fine may be charged. See your hallstaff for details.
Other helpful information:
- Mail will not be forwarded over break. Mail operations will resume on Monday, January 14
- Last meal before closing will be dinner, Friday, December 14 in the West Quad Dining Center
Important Closing/Opening Dates
- Thursday, December 13: Last day to sign up for late stays
- Friday, December 14, 7pm: All residence hall close
- Saturday, December 15, 6pm: All approved late stays must vacate
- Sunday, January 13, 10am: Residence Halls re-open