Spring 2015 Resident Assistant (RA) Selection Information
Residence hall floors are staffed by full time students who serve primarily as a resource and mentor for the residents. The Resident Assistants (RAs) facilitate programming, enforce policies, and serve on duty. Their primary duties are to create a floor community where students feel they belong and are an important part of the community.
RAs are an integral part of University Housing and Dining Services (UHDS). They are the staff members who have the most direct and constant contact with students. RAs are assigned to a residence hall floor of approximately 30-40 students. Their primary responsibility is to ensure the health and safety of residents and build relationships with their community members. The RA also acts as a facilitator for this residence hall communities and promotes the development of each of their residents. RAs are expected to uphold and abide by University policies, be team players, serve as strong academic role models, exhibit strong administrative skills, and be referral agents to campus resources.
New Candidates: Apply to be an RA for Spring 2015 (start date of January 2015):
- Application opens September 22, 2014.
- Applications due October 12, 2014 by 11:59 pm.
- References due October 15, 2014 by 3:00 pm.
- Individual and Group Interviews will take place on October 16, 2014 at 7:00 pm
- Update Your Resume. During the application, we will ask that you submit your most recent resume. If you are creating a resume for the first time, the Career Development Center has some great tips about building your resume.
Think about why you are applying. Some of the questions that you should think about answering are:
- What is your personal definition of community and how will you develop a positive community on your floor?
- What do you hope to learn from the Resident Assistant position?
- Ensure you have valid email addresses for your two references. One reference MUST be your current Resident Assistant (or a WIU faculty/staff member if you currently live off campus). The second reference should be someone who is aware of your abilities and work habits. References will be emailed the appropriate recommendation forms after the submission of your application. **** Please note that the later you turn in your application, the less time you will have to get your reference completed.
- Complete the Online Application.
- Scheduling Your Interview Time: In October, the Selection Committee will be contacting you to schedule the interviews.
Please email RA-Selection@wiu.edu if you have any questions or problems submitting your application.
- Application for Spring 2015 RA positions opens on September 22, 2014 at 3 p.m.
RA Position Description
RA Selection Timeline
Mid-Year Selection Process (start date January 2015)
- September 22, 2014: RA Application Available On Purple Post 3:00 p.m.
- October 12, 2014: New RA Candidate Applications Due 11:59 p.m.
- October 15, 2014: New RA Candidate References Due 3:00 p.m.
- October 16, 2014: New RA Candidate Interviews