Resident Assistant (RA) Selection Information
Residence hall floors are staffed by full time students who serve primarily as a resource and mentor for the residents. The Resident Assistants (RAs) facilitate programming, enforce policies, and serve on duty. Their primary duties are to create a floor community where students feel they belong and are an important part of the community.
RAs are an integral part of University Housing and Dining Services (UHDS). They are the staff members who have the most direct and constant contact with students. RAs are assigned to a residence hall floor of approximately 30-40 students. Their primary responsibility is to ensure the health and safety of residents and build relationships with their community members. The RA also acts as a facilitator for this residence hall communities and promotes the development of each of their residents. RAs are expected to uphold and abide by University policies, be team players, serve as strong academic role models, exhibit strong administrative skills, and be referral agents to campus resources.
New Candidates: Apply to be an RA for Fall 2014 (start date of August 2014):
Application opens December 2, 2013.
- Applications due January 27, 2014 by 3:00 pm.
- References due January 31, 2014 by 3:00 pm.
- Interviews will take place February 10-14, 17, 2014.
- February 10, 11, 13, 17
8 am - pm
- February 14
8 am - 1 pm
- February 11
New Salem Room, Fox Room, Lincoln Room
- February 13
6:30 - 10:30 pm
Fox and Heritage Rooms
- February 14
2:30 - 6:30 pm
Capitol Room, Fox Room, Lincoln Room
*Students who plan to study abroad during the Spring 2014 semester should email RA-Selection@wiu.edu to schedule an interview before the end of the Fall 2013 semester.
- Update Your Resume. During the application, we will ask that you submit your most recent resume. If you are creating a resume for the first time, the Career Development Center has some great tips about building your resume.
Think about why you are applying. Some of the questions that you should think about answering are:
- What is your personal definition of community and how will you develop a positive community on your floor?
- What do you hope to learn from the Resident Assistant position?
- Ensure you have valid email addresses for your two references. One reference MUST be your current Resident Assistant (or a WIU faculty/staff member if you currently live off campus). The second reference should be someone who is aware of your abilities and work habits. References will be emailed the appropriate recommendation forms after the submission of your application. **** Please note that the later you turn in your application, the less time you will have to get your reference completed.
- Complete the Online Application.
- Scheduling Your Interview Time: In January, the Selection Committee will be contacting you to schedule the interviews.
Returning RAs: Apply to be an RA for Fall 2014 (start date of August 2014):
- Application opens January 7, 2014.
- Application due January 20, 2014 by 3:00 pm.
- Interviews will take place January 27- February 7, 2014.
- Notifications will go out by Tuesday, March 11, 2014.
Please email RA-Selection@wiu.edu if you have any questions or problems submitting your application.
- Application is closed.
RA Position Description
RA Selection Timeline
Fall Selection Process (start date August 2014)
- December 2, 2013: RA Application Available Online
- January 7, 2014: Returning RA Applications Available Online
- January 16, 2014: Information Session 5:30-7:30 Bay/Henn Dining Center
- January 20, 2014: Returner RA Applications due 3:00pm
- January 23, 2014: Information Session 5:30-7:30, Corbin Olson Dining Center
- January 27, 2014: New RA Candidate Applications Due 3:00pm
- January 27, 2014-February 7, 2014: Returning RA Interviews
- January 31, 2014: New RA Candidate References Due 3:00pm
- February 10, 11, 13, 14, 17: New RA Candidate Interviews
- March 11, 2014: RA Position Notification Letters Go Out