Spring 2016 Resident Assistant (RA) Selection Information
Residence hall floors are staffed by full time students who act as a primary resource and mentor for residents.The Resident Assistants (RAs) facilitate programming, enforce policies, and serve on duty. Their primary duties are to create a floor community where students feel they belong and are an important part of the community.
New Candidates: Apply to be an RA for Spring 2016 (start date of January 2016):
- Application opens September 14, 2015, at 5:00 pm.
- Applications due October 4, 2015, by 11:59 pm.
- References due October 7, 2015, by 3:00 pm.
- Individual and Group Interviews: Upon application approval, the RA Recruitment and Selection committee, will ask applicants to select their preferred individual and group process interview dates.
- RA Candidate Notification Letters will be sent in November.
- Update your Resume. During the application, we will ask that you submit your most recent resume. If you are creating a resume for the first time, the Career Development Center has some great tips about building your resume.
- Think about why you are applying. Carefully review the RA Position Description. Some of the questions that you should think about answering are:
- What is your personal definition of community and how will you develop a positive community on your floor?
- What do you hope to learn from the Resident Assistant position?
- Ensure you have valid email addresses for your two references. One reference MUST be your current Resident Assistant (or a WIU faculty/staff member if you currently live off campus). The second reference should be someone who is aware of your abilities and work habits. References will be emailed the appropriate recommendation forms after the submission of your application. Please note that the later you turn in your application, the less time you will have to get your reference completed.
- Complete the New RA Online Application.
NOTE the following:
- You must have a 2.4 cumulative and semester GPA or higher at the time of application.
- If hired or selected as an alternate for spring 2016 and your cumulative and semester GPAs are not 2.4 or higher at the end of the Fall 2015 semester, your employment offer (if applicable) will be rescinded.
- Required Staff Meetings: ALL RA STAFF will be required to be available between 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm on Tuesdays for a staff meeting in both the fall and spring semesters. Exceptions to this staff meeting timewill need to be petitioned to the Director of Residence Life, Dr. Mishelle Oaks.
Required Resident Assistant Class: All new RA staff will be required to complete the Resident Assistant Class (CSP 450). Classes will be offered in the second part of the spring 2016 semester. All applicants must enrolled in the course prior to receiving their selection notification letter. Newly hired RAs and alternates must remain enrolled in the course upon receiving their placement letter. Those applicants not hired or selected as alternates will be allowed to drop the course. The available class times are the following:
- Mondays-1- 4 PM
- Wednesdays-9 AM -12 PM
- Thursdays-3-6 PM
- Fridays 10 AM- 1 PM
- Any concerns about registering for the RA Class may be directed to the Assistant Director of Residence Life, Sarah Hart.
- Required RA Fall Training: All RA staff will be expected to return for RA training that will take place January 13-16, 2016. All hired RA staff should make proper arrangements to return to campus and participate in RA training. Concerns about the start date of RA training should be directed to the Director of Residence Life, Dr. Mishelle Oaks, in advance of January 2016.
***Important Information for Transfer Students***
Transfer students that entered WIU in the Fall 2015 semester, must have, or will have completed by the end of the Fall 2015 semester:
- Lived in a residence hall or community living setting (military, etc), for the equivalent of two academic semesters
- Have a semester and cumulative GPA of 2.4 or higher at the end of the Fall 2015 semester.
- Be in good judicial standing with the University
NOTE the following:
- A minimum of 30 semester hours earned from your previous educational institution. (an official transcript sent directly from your former educational institution will be required to continue in the process)
- Official transcripts sent directly from your previous educational institution must be addressed to: UHDS Residence Life, Attn: RA Selection Committee, c/o LaDawn Thomas, 1 University Circle, Macomb, IL 61455
- Fall 2015 Transfer Students who apply before the end of the Fall semester will not yet have a GPA. Please enter 0.0 in the GPA section of the application. GPAs will be checked at the end of the Fall 2015 semester.
- Your application will be approved pending receipt of your official transcript. In the event your official transcript is not received by the time of your scheduled interviews, you will not be allowed to continue in the process.
RA Position Description