Writing a Scholarship Thank You Letter
Your scholarship is the result of a generous contribution from a donor and it is vitally important that you take time to say thank you for such a gift. It is an act of common courtesy and a small way of letting our donors know just what a difference their gifts are making in your life and the lives of WIU students.
Thank you letters should be delivered as instructed in your scholarship award notification - if you have questions, contact the awarding department or office.
First, keep the letter brief but informative.
- Remember to actually thank your donor!
- Name the scholarship you are receiving
- Include the academic year you will receive the scholarship (e.g. for the 2017-18 school year)
Second, give them some details about yourself, your background, your studies, and/or your future goals.
- Organizations, internships
- Your major (and why?)
- Family background and high school
- Future Plans - Short and long term goals
Third, describe the difference this award will make in your education and life.
Last, conclude the note by thanking them again
- Sign with your full name
- Include your anticipated graduation year (e.g. if you will graduate in 2019, sign as John Doe '19)
- If you wish, include a nice photograph of yourself.
- Be accurate and have someone else proofread your letter for correct spelling and grammar.
- While hand-written is best, a typed letter signed by you is acceptable.
- If needed, thank you stationary is available in the Scholarship Office.
Can be used as a guide to creating your letter - DO NOT COPY.
First Paragraph: Give the purpose of your letter- (I am writing to thank you for the _____Scholarship). Then, express your appreciation for the scholarship – (I am honored to have been selected to receive the scholarship. Or, I was very happy to learn I am the recipient of your scholarship. Or, I really appreciate receiving this scholarship.)
Second Paragraph: Share information about yourself and how the scholarship is important to you. (I am majoring in _______________. I hope to have a career in _______________. I am interested in this because ______________. The money from this scholarship will help finance my education and allow me to focus on academics/ or studying and becoming involved in college activities.)
Third Paragraph: Thank the donor again and state your desire to honor the scholarship by doing well in your academic studies.