Student Development Office

Frequently Asked Questions

I'm feeling homesick. What should I do?

All students may contact Student Development and Orientation (SDO) for assistance with your transition. SDO staff can meet with you one-on-one. If you live on campus, another great resource is hall staff.

I received an early warning notification/email. Who do I contact for assistance?

Student Development and Orientation (SDO) offers support to students experiencing academic difficulties resulting from a variety of situations that may be impacting their academics. Students experiencing personal situations may seek assistance as well. Assistance is available in areas of:

  • Academic assistance
  • Academic status
  • Study skills
  • Tutoring
  • Time management
  • Writing skills
  • Academic major and career exploration

SDO can help students find the right campus resource for their particular circumstance. Contact SDO, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.

I am experiencing personal difficulties. What should I do?

You have many options, but the important thing is for you to get help before it's too late. There are many people at Western who care about you and are concerned about your personal and academic success. Whether you live on- or off-campus, feel free to call Student Development and Orientation (SDO) at (309) 298-1884. SDO can assess your situation and direct you to the appropriate resources.

I'm considering withdrawing from the University and would like to discuss my options.

Student Development and Orientation can meet with students who are contemplating withdrawing from the University and will make you aware of your options and alternatives when making this critical decision.

I've experienced a serious emergency. What do I do about my classes?

Student Development and Orientation (SDO) will serve as a contact resource for a student in extreme/emergency situations when the student is unable to make contact with faculty members. Examples of these types of situations are accidents or hospitalization that occurs out of town, death of an immediate family member (father, mother, sibling, spouse, child), serious emotional/psychological problems, serious injuries or traumas, and medically prescribed inpatient treatment. If you're uncertain what to do during times of emergency, contact SDO at (309) 298-1884.

Contact Info

Student Development and Success Center
Memorial 125
1 University Circle
Macomb, IL 61455

Phone: (309) 298-1884
Fax: (309) 298-2361