Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
Student Development Office
Access to Student Records
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) is a federal law which ensures the privacy of student records at public schools and gives students who have enrolled in post-secondary education control over who may access their records. At Western Illinois University, faculty and staff are bound by FERPA, but understand this lack of access can create frustration, especially for parents of new students who want to assist with their student’s college transition. Students and families are encouraged to discuss the level of access to be shared
- Students: Students will access their University records through Student/Alumni Records System (STARS) using their WIU ID number and password. STARS offers students a variety of online services, which include class registration, viewing of their grades and billing statements, ordering food points, and paying their bill from a checking or savings account. Students are discouraged from sharing their WIU ID number and password.
- Parent and Guest Access: Students may grant online access to their records to multiple guests (maximum of five) by selecting Parent and Guest Account Management from the STARS menu. Students may provide different levels of access to their STARS account information for each guest. When a student creates a guest account, the guest is assigned a WIU ID number and password. The student is responsible for communicating this information to the guest. The guest will use these two items to log in to Parent and Guest Access. Parent and Guest Access to STARS is the University’s preferred method for parents to access information about their students.
- Parent Affidavit: If a student is a dependent for income tax purposes as defined in Section 152 of the Internal Revenue Service Tax Code of 1986, the taxpayer claiming the student may file an Affidavit of Dependency to obtain access to their dependent’s University records. The Affidavit of Dependency form is available on the Registrar’s website and must be filed annually. Western must release the educational information upon receiving a written request from the authorized taxpayer.
- Release of Information: Students may authorize the disclosure of their educational records by providing a notarized written release, which will be honored as long as the student is enrolled. The Authorization for the Release of Information form is availableon the Registrar’s website. Western may release the educational information upon receiving a written request from the authorized individual.
- Welcome to WIU
- President's Statement on Diversity
- Accreditation Statement
- Student Leadership Opportunities
- Access to Student Records
- Emergency Alert System
- Student Right-to-Know
- Special Events and Activities
- Campus/Community Wide Services
- Academic Departments/Schools
- 2013-2014 Calendar
- Campus Highlights
- Academics, Affordability, and Student Body
- Student Checklist
- Family Checklist