Student Development Office

Withdrawal Checklist

✔ Get Assistance

The thought of leaving Western Illinois University can be a large decision and we are here to assist. Staff in the Student Development and Success Center are committed to answering questions, assisting you through the process, or finding ways to aid you in finding success here at Western Illinois University. 

You can contact the Student Development and Success Center located on the first floor of Memorial Hall, room 125 during regular business hours. Email , call 309-298-1884, or walk in Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. to set up an appointment.

✔ Drop Your Class (es)

If you are leaving the University for any reason, you must officially withdraw from your classes to avoid receiving failing grades. Requests must be received by the published deadline dates for the term. Students may withdraw from the university in one of the following ways:

  • Prior to the first day of the semester, a student may completely withdraw from the University through STARS.
  • On or after the first day of the semester, students who are classified as full-time students must complete a Student Withdrawal Request or come in person to the Student Development and Success Center, located on the first floor of Memorial Hall, Room 125, during regular business hours, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. Photo ID is required. A student may withdraw from full semester courses during the first 10 weeks of the regular spring and fall semester. After the last day to withdraw, only students with exceptional and documented circumstances may appeal for late withdrawal from the University. Check STARS Course Search for course-specific deadline dates.

✔ Contact The Financial Aid Office

If you have received financial aid, you may be required to repay some or all of aid. Financial aid includes scholarships, grants, loans, and any financial aid refund you have received. If you do not attend your classes or do not officially withdraw, you will receive failing grades and may be required to repay all or some of your financial aid. If you are transferring to another college/university, notify the  WIU Financial Aid Office  to see what steps are required to transfer your financial aid. Contact the  Financial Aid Office  at or (309) 298-2446.

✔ Cancel Your Housing Contract

If you live in on-campus housing, contact  University Housing and Dining Services  at or (309) 298-3000 for information on how to cancel your housing contract.

If you rent off-campus, contact your landlord to discuss your options.

There may be financial penalties for canceling your housing contract or lease. These penalties often increase over time so check on these as soon as possible when you are considering withdrawing from the University. The severity of these penalties may influence your decision.

✔ Pay Any Remaining Balance On Your Student Account

You may be responsible for all or part of your tuition and fees if you withdraw after the first day of classes. For more information on the amount you may be charged for tuition and fees based on your date of withdrawal, please go to:

You will not be able to request an official transcript if any unpaid charges remain on your student account. Past due accounts may be referred to a collection agency and/or result in legal action. To inquire about your account status, contact the  Billing and Receivables Office  at (309) 298-1831 or

Please be aware it may take up to 30 days following your withdrawal for your account to reflect the accurate balance. You may view your account on  STARS  by selecting Account Detail.

✔ Return Any Books, Equipment Or Material On Loan From The University

Text books, Library books, lab equipment, keys and other University materials must be returned promptly to avoid late fees and/or replacement costs.

✔ Check On Your Insurance

Depending upon the date of withdrawal, you may remain covered or eligible for the health insurance coverage for the semester through the University. For more information, please contact the  Student Health Insurance Office  at (309) 298-1882. .

✔ International Students

If you are an international student planning on withdrawing from the University, please contact WIU's Immigration Advisor at 298-1806 prior to your withdrawal. Failure to properly report your withdrawal could negatively impact your visa status. For more information contact the admissions officers in the School of Graduate Studies at (309) 298-1806 or email

✔ Update Your Address & Phone Number

Log onto STARS to update your address and phone number. Under the "My Profile" tab, select "Addresses" then click on the "Student Addresses Update" link. Update all addresses and phone numbers as needed and click the "Save Changes" button.

✔ Order Your Transcript

If you need to have your WIU transcript sent to another institution,  please see the order options at . All outstanding financial obligations must be cleared before transcripts can be released. Please contact the  Registrar's Office   at  with any questions.

✔ Return To Western

If you decide to return to Western after being away from the institution for at least one semester, you must submit a  readmission application  at . You will also need to contact your academic advisor and clear any administration encumbrances prior to re-enrolling.