Student Employment

Information for WIU Employers Hiring Non-U.S. Student Workers

Employment Eligibility Verification Form (I-9)

The majority of non immigrant students who seek work on campus are here on F-1 student visas.  They are permitted by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to work on campus as long as they are full-time students and work 20 hours per week or less during the academic year.  Non-immigrant student workers may work a maximum of 40 hours per week during breaks and 40 hours per week during the summer session if not taking six (6) or more credit hours in the same summer session.  Full-time enrollment is 12 credits per semester for undergraduate students and 9 credits per semester for graduate students.  During the summer, the non-immigrant student worker must be enrolled in a minimum of three (3) credit hours or preregistered for full-time for fall.  English as Second Language (ESL) students are full-time if taking WESL full-time.

However, USCIS permits exceptions to the full-time rule for students in their first and last terms of academic work.  Any student falling below the normal full-time load should consult with the Immigration/Visa Specialist at WIU before beginning employment.  During the academic year, all students must be enrolled for a minimum of 6 credit hours to be employed under student employment.

To process the I-9, the following is required:

  1. Proof of identity (WIU student photo ID or an unexpired passport).
  2. The I-94 to determine current visa status (found in passport).
  3. The student’s unexpired I-20 form (see ending date for degree program in Item 5 on front of I-20).

There are other non immigrant students on campus who may want to seek employment. The following visa types (noted on the front of the I-94 white card in the passport) are ineligible for employment in the U.S.: F-2, B-1, B-2, J-2, and H-4

Instructions for non immigrants filling out I-9 (employment eligibility) statement:

Before the student employee electronically signs and dates Section I of the I-9 form, the following information must be completed:

I attest, under penalty of perjury, that I am (check one of the following):
___ A citizen or national of the United States

___ A Lawful Permanent Resident (Alien # A________________ )

___ An alien authorized to work until ___/___ /___

(Alien # or Admission #__________________)

If you are not a U.S. Citizen or U.S. Permanent Resident (green card holder), you will check the third box, put the expiration date of your I-20 ID (in item #5 on the front of your I-20 ID), and your I-94 (Admission #) in the spaces allowed for them.

EXAMPLE for F-1 nonimmigrant students:

X An alien authorized to work until 05/13/11
Admission # 394-57824614

Your eligibility to work on-campus ends when:

  • you drop out of school
  • you finish your studies
  • you are enrolled less than the number of hours allowed by USCIS and/or WIU Student Employment Office
  • you change your F-1 student visa status to another status which does not permit work, for example, F-2, J-2 (without USCIS issued work permission card), H-4, etc.

WIU is required to withhold money for payment of both state and federal income taxes (money which may be claimed as a refund at the end of the calendar year by completing an income tax refund request).

F-1 visa students in legal status (attending classes full-time) are exempt from FICA/Medicare tax withholding. Be sure that your on-campus employer understands this. If you need a copy of the information about this from the IRS Publication 519, see the Immigration and Visa Specialist in the Center for International Studies, phone (309) 298-2426.