Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
University Theme Committee Sponsorship Guidelines
- THE AMOUNT AWARDED CAN ONLY BE USED FOR THE SPEAKER'S HONORARIUM. If the lecturer will agree, his/her contract should include a flat lecture fee that will cover the honorarium and all expenses. PLEASE NOTE: A department (General Revenue Account) cannot be reimbursed if they pay the fee and seek reimbursement.
- You must provide comprehensive information on the proposed program (specifically, topic information and speakers’ credentials) so the committee can make an educated decision regarding possible programs. If applicable, please include information regarding the number and type of events the lecturer will hold during the visit (general lectures, class visits, workshops, etc.)
- A statement describing how the proposed program relates to the current theme must be included with the proposal or description. For example, include information demonstrating the speaker's expertise such as biographical sketches, screenshots or electronic copies of the speaker's website (not URLs or Internet links), or press kits help evaluate the program's thematic pertinence.
- All advertising of the lecture must contain the byline, "This event is co sponsored by _______, the University Theme Committee and the Provost’s Office."
- A standard WIU contract form must be used for a lecture honorarium.
- The sponsor must issue a press release through the University Relations Office to help promote the speaker. Additional promotion is strongly encouraged.
- The sponsor must check with the University Master Calendar to insure there will be no conflict with any major campus event.
- All lectures must be open to the campus community and be free of charge. University Theme Committee funds are not to be used for classroom instruction. Lecturers may also speak to classes but it must be in addition to the open lecture.
- If the program is unable to be held as described in the approved proposal (speaker cancellation, change of speaker, etc.), you must get permission from the University Theme Committee to reallocate the monies toward a different program and/or different speaker. Following cancellation, the Committee may reallocate money to other sponsored programs.
- If overnight accommodations are needed, the speaker should be encouraged to stay in the University Union guest rooms. Please contact the Hotel supervisor at 298-1941.
- A written evaluation of the program must be submitted to the University Theme Committee within 10 working days after the event. If no evaluation is completed, the organization may not be eligible for any future funding. Please see the sponsorship evaluation form on the University Theme website.
- It will be the responsibility of the sponsor to obtain all required signatures on the contract. Please be sure to use the speaker’s home or residence address, not a business address.
NOTE: All honorarium payments require a signed contract with the lecturer before a check can be requested. You should allow at least two weeks lead time for the processing of the check request prior to the date that the check is needed.