Student Employment Opportunities
Working with Sodexo Campus Services has many benefits, including:
Convenient Hours You can work up to 20 hours per week, with your work schedule tailored to your class schedule.
Convenient Locations You can work in your residence hall or close to your classes, eliminating the hassle sometimes associated with off-campus employment.
Complimentary Meals You can save on your meal plan dollars because you will receive a free meal on qualified shifts.
Meet New Friends UHDS and Sodexo employ over 300 people all over campus, making it easy to meet lots of new people.
Promotion Opportunities Your student job could lead to a student manager position with Sodexo, based on evaluations, commitment, teamwork, and needs.
Dining Center and/or University Union Retail Dining Locations
To apply for a Dining Center or Union Food Court position:
Download and complete the paper application. If you're on campus, take your completed application to any Student Manager at the specific location where you would like to work and inquire about availability. If you're not on campus, you can mail your completed application to:
- UHDS Food Service
c/o Julie Derry
Seal Hall -1st Floor
Macomb, IL 61455
Western Illinois University Catering by Sodexo
To apply for a Catering position:
Search Macomb IL to narrow the job list and Apply for Wait Staff Non-Tipped WIU Catering Student Position
Desk Assistants (DA) are an integral part of University Housing and Dining Services (UHDS). The function of this position is to act as a receptionist at the front desk in a residence hall. This position serves as an information source and represents the University to students, family, and guests. The DA is responsible to and supported by the Complex Director, the UHDS' professional staff members in the residence hall.
Applications for the Desk Assistant Position are open until Janurary 30th, 2017 within the Western Leader Recruitment Process. You can find out more information and details on applying on the Western Leader Purple Post Page.
Summer Assistants (SA) are an integral part of University Housing and Dining Services (UHDS) summer operations. They are the live-in staff members who have the most direct and constant contact with summer guests and students. SAs are assigned to a residence hall floor of up to 80 guests OR students. They are the front-line customer staff for conference and summer school housing.
Applications for the Summer Assistant Position are open until Janurary 30th, 2017 within the Western Leader Recruitment Process. You can find out more information and details on applying on the Western Leader Purple Post Page.
Fall 2017 - Spring 2018 Resident Assistant (RA) Selection Information
The Resident Assistant Selection process is a part of the Western Leader Recruitment Process. The Western Leader Recruitment Process incompassess the Adminssions Ambassador, Leatherneck Success Team, Resident Assistant, Desk Assitant, and Summer Assistant positions. One application and interview will occur for all positions.
Residence hall floors are staffed by full time students who act as a primary resource and mentor for residents.The Resident Assistants (RAs) facilitate programming, enforce policies, and serve on duty. Their primary duties are to create a floor community where students feel they belong and are an important part of the community.
New Candidates: Apply to be an RA for Fall 2017 (start date of August 8, 2017):
- Application opens November 2, 2016, via Purple Post Western Leader Page.
- Applications due January 30, 2017, by 8:00 pm.
- References due February 2, 2017, by 3:00 pm.
- Individual and Group Interviews: Februrary 10, 2017. Upon application approval, the Selection committee, will ask applicants to select their preferred time on Februrary 10, 2017 to interview.
- RA Candidate Notification Letters will be sent in March.
- Update your Resume. During the application, we will ask that you submit your most recent resume. If you are creating a resume for the first time, the Career Development Center has some great tips about building your resume.
- Think about why you are applying. Carefully review the RA Position Description. Some of the questions that you should think about answering are:
- What is your personal definition of community and how will you develop a positive community on your floor?
- What do you hope to learn from the Resident Assistant position?
- Ensure you have valid email addresses for your two references. One reference MUST be your current Resident Assistant (or a WIU faculty/staff member if you currently live off campus). The second reference should be someone who is aware of your abilities and work habits. References will be emailed the appropriate recommendation forms after the submission of your application. Please note that the later you turn in your application, the less time you will have to get your reference completed.
- Complete the Western Leader Application via Purple Post.
NOTE the following:
- You must have a 2.4 cumulative and semester GPA or higher at the time of application.
- If hired or selected as an alternate candidate for Fall 2017 and your cumulative and semester GPAs are not 2.4, or higher at the end of the Spring 2016 semester, your employment offer (if applicable) will be rescinded.
- An RA appointment is for a complete academic year (spring and fall semesters).
- Required Staff Meetings: ALL RA STAFF will be required to be available between 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm on Tuesdays for a staff meeting in both the fall and spring semesters. Exceptions to this staff meeting time will need to be petitioned to the Director of Residence Life, Dr. Mishelle Oaks.
- All new RA staff will be required to complete the Resident Assistant Class (CSP 450) with a grade of C- or better. Classes will be offered in the second part of the spring 2016 semester. All applicants must be enrolled in the course prior to receiving their selection notification letter. Newly hired RAs and alternates must remain enrolled in the course upon receiving their placement letter. Those applicants not hired or selected as alternates will be allowed to drop the course. The available class times are the following:
- Mondays, 1:30 - 2:30 PM
- Wednesdays, 9:30 -10:30 AM
- Thursdays, 3:00 - 4:00 PM
- Fridays, 11:00 AM- 12:00 PM
- Any concerns about registering for the RA Class may be directed to the Assistant Director of Residence Life, Sarah Hart.
Required RA Fall Training:
- All RA staff will be expected to return for RA training that will take place on August 8, 2017. All hired RA staff should make proper arrangements to return to campus on one of the following move-in dates:
- Saturday, August 5, 2017, between 8:00 AM and 4:00 PM
- Tuesday, August 8, 2017, between 8:00 AM and 4:00 PM
- Concerns about the start date of RA training should be directed to the Director of Residence Life, Dr. Mishelle Oaks, in advance of August 2016.
***Important Information for Transfer Students***
Transfer students that entered WIU in the Spring 2017 semester, must have, or will have completed by the end of the Spring 2017 semester:
- Lived in a residence hall or community living setting (military, etc), for the equivalent of two academic semesters
- Have a semester and cumulative GPA of 2.4 or higher at the end of the Spring 2017 semester.
- Be in good judicial standing with the University
NOTE the following:
- A minimum of 30 semester hours earned from your previous educational institution. (an official transcript sent directly from your former educational institution will be required to continue in the process)
- Official transcripts sent directly from your previous educational institution must be addressed to: UHDS Residence Life, Attn: RA Selection Committee, c/o Justin Schuch, 1 University Circle, Macomb, IL 61455
- Spring 2017 Transfer Students who apply before the end of the Spring 2017 semester will not yet have a GPA. Please enter 0.0 in the GPA section of the application. GPAs will be checked at the end of the Spring 2017 semester.
- Your application will be approved pending receipt of your official transcript. In the event your official transcript is not received by the time of your scheduled interviews, you will not be allowed to continue in the process.