Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
Advancement & Public Services
Western Illinois State Normal School Opens
September 23 was the first day that WIU (then known as Western Illinois State Normal School) opened to its students. The school's 160 students did not attend class that day, but enrolled in classes, got their books lists, and met the faculty.
Macomb School's Opening a Huge Victory for Macomb
With the opening of Western Illinois State Normal School, Macomb finally got the learning institution it had been waiting for since it was approved in 1899. Thanks to the efforts of Macomb's citizens, namely L.Y. Sherman, Macomb beat out numerous other regional cities competing to be the home of the new school.
Hanson Field Dedicated: Large Crowd Attends Game
The new $258,587 stadium was dedicated and named in Coach Ray "Rock" Hanson's honor. Coach Hanson was the head of the Leatherneck's athletic programs from 1927 through 1964. Western won the football game against Central Michigan 28-7.
Delta Sigma Phi Fraternity Installed
The international fraternity, Delta Sigma Phi, formally installed its Gamma Kappa chapter here at Western. The fraternity's residence was originally located at 717 W. Adams Street, and there were 26 charter members along with 11 pledges. Sam Kramm, a Macomb native, was elected the chapter's first president.
Ag Department Announces High Enrollment
Western's Ag Department announced that its enrollment was up by more than 10 percent compared to the previous year.