Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
Civil Service Handbook - R
Reassignment within a place of employment occurs when the employer reassigns an employee to any position of the same classification within a place of employment, subject to conditions imposed by the recognition of lesser units. A probationary employee so reassigned shall be required to complete the probationary period in the classification; a status employee shall not be required to serve any additional probationary time in the classification.
Reassignment shall be without prejudice to seniority in the classification or in the promotional line of which that classification is a part, subject to conditions imposed by recognition of lesser units.
All reassignments shall take precedence over any existing registers.
Faculty, staff, and spouses may join the Student Recreation Center by purchasing a membership. The facility will allow members to utilize aerobics classes, the cardiovascular and weight training rooms, swimming pool, gymnasium, equipment checkout, meeting rooms, juice bar, pro-shop, playroom, racquetball court reservations, and locker and towel service.
All children at family recreation programs must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. Additionally, any child under sixteen must have an adult in their presence at all times in the same activity area. Age requirements will be enforced for specific rooms and equipment.
The 0. L. Champion Golf Course is located on Tower Road next to the University Farm. Faculty and staff rates for green fees are available for Civil Service employees on this nine-hole course.
Tennis courts on Murray Street (east of the Heating Plant Annex), Western Avenue (just west of Simpkins Hall), and University Drive (just west of Brophy Hall) are available for employee use whenever they are not being used by Physical Education, Athletics, or Campus Recreation.
Outdoor equipment rental and checkout is available at the Outdoor Adventure Center located in Western Hall 105. Please present a current ID to checkout or rent equipment.
For further information on any Campus Recreation program, the Student Recreation Center, or the Outdoor Adventure Center, please contact Campus Recreation at 298-1228.
(SUCSS Rule 250.110)
The University requests that employees who are resigning give at least a two week notice to their supervisor. No resignation is considered official until a signed form is accepted in Human Resources. No final check will be issued by Payroll until a completed resignation form and termination clearance sheet is received in Human Resources.
Holiday pay is paid only if employees are in work status the day before a holiday, and continue employment after the holiday. By phoning Human Resources indicating the last day of work and reason for resignation, a resignation form will be printed overnight and ready for signature the following work day.
Participation in the State Universities Retirement System (SURS) provides disability, death and survivor, and retirement benefits. Employees may retire at any age without benefit reduction with at least 30 years of service credit. Employees may retire at age 62 with 5 years of service credit. Employees may retire at age 55 with at least 8 years of service credit. Employees who retire between the ages of 55 and 60 under the general formula, will have a reduction in benefits unless the employee and the employer make a one-time lump sum payment to buy out the discount and the employee retires on or before August 31, 1997. Retirement at age 60 or later is without benefit reduction based on age.
Lifetime retirement annuity is calculated three ways, and employees are paid the highest amount calculated. Call 298-1853 to schedule an appointment to explore retirement options.
To receive SURS benefits, employees must file an application. This application should be completed as soon as possible when benefits or refunds are needed.
Employees of WIU are not currently eligible for Federal Social Security employment credit; therefore, no Social Security tax is withheld from earnings. Employees beginning employment on or after April 1, 1986, are required by federal law to pay the 1.45% Medicare tax which deducted from their paycheck.
For additional information, call 298-1853 or call SURS at 1-800-ASK-SURS.
Employees who resign and apply for a refund, will receive all of their contributions plus 4 1/2% interest. Employees may defer taxation by rolling the refund into an Individual Retirement Account (IRA). If the refund is not rolled over into an IRA, SURS will withhold 20% income tax from the refund; and the employee will owe an additional 10% federal income tax penalty on the refund.
- Handbook Directory
- Adoption Benefits
- Affirmative Action Administrative Internship Program
- Appointment Types
- Apprentice Appointment
- Art Exhibits (see Entertainment)
- Athletic Events
- Audit Appeal Procedure
- Audit Procedure for Positions
- Benefits While on Leave
- Bereavement Leave
- Book Awards for Civil Service Employees
- Bureau of Cultural Affairs (see Entertainment)
- Campus Connection
- Civil Service Award Fund
- Civil Service Award Selection Committee
- Civil Service Bulletin Boards
- Clerical Services Policy
- Concerts (see Entertainment)
- Copying, Printing, and Copiers
- Credit Union
- Cultural Affairs (see Entertainment)
- Death Benefits and Survivor Benefits
- Disability Leave
- Disciplinary Management Program
- Educational Benefits
- Educational Benefits for Retirees/Employees' Children
- Educational Leave
- Employee Assistance Program
- Employee Newsletter (see Campus Connection)
- Equal Opportunity Policy
- Examination Scheduling Procedures
- Extra-Help Appointment
- Family and Medical Leave Act - FMLA
- Fine Arts (see Entertainment)
- Food Service Operations
- Funeral Leave (see Bereavement Leave)
- Health Service
- Hiring Procedures
- Identification Cards
- Intern Appointment
- Interviewing for Positions
- Job Descriptions
- Jury Duty/Court Witness Service
- Layoff Policy
- Learner Appointment
- Leaves of Absence
- Library Privileges
- Lost and Found (see University Union Facilities)
- Lunch Period
- Mail Services
- Make-Up Time
- Medical Leave
- Military Leave
- Night Shift Differential (see Shift Differential Procedures)
- Notary Public Service
- Office Supplies
- Parental Leave
- Parking and Traffic Regulations
- Part-Time Employee Benefits
- Pay Checks
- Payroll/Personnel Procedures
- Performance Evaluation
- Personal Convenience Leave
- Personnel Files
- Physical Plant Services
- Pregnancy Leave
- Probationary Period - Six Months
- Probationary Period - Twelve Months
- Provisional Appointment
- Recreation for Employees and Families
- Scholarship Awards to Dependents of Civil Service Employees
- Sexual Harassment Policy
- Shift Differential Procedures
- Sick Leave
- Sports (see Athletic Events)
- Status Changes
- Status Appointment
- Status Notice
- Tax Deferred Accounts
- Telecommunication/WESTEL Services
- Temporary Appointment
- Time Cards
- Transportation Services
- Tuition Waivers
- Unemployment Compensation
- University Union Facilities
- Veterans Preference Points
- Work Schedules
- Workers' Compensation
- A - Policy on Acquiring Computing Devices
- B - Clean Air/No Smoking Policy
- C - Clerical Services Policy
- D - Policy on Commercial and Charitable Solicitation
- E - University Compensation Policy
- F - Compensatory Time/Overtime Policy
- G - Constitution & By-Laws of WIU Civil Service Employee's Council
- H - Disciplinary Management Program
- I - Discrimination Complaint Procedures
- J - Policy on Distribution of Printed Materials and Collection of Signatures
- K - Drug and Alcohol Abuse Policy
- L - Drug-Free Workplace Policy
- M - Policy on Employment of Individuals with Disabilities
- N - Policy Statement on Equal Opportunity & Affirmative Action
- O - Flex-Time Policy
- P - Flex-Year Civil Service Status Appointments
- Q - Civil Service Employee Grievance Policy
- R - Legal Procedures
- S - Policy on Limiting University Operations Because of Emergency Conditions
- T - Policy on Providing Student/Staff Computer Listings or Labels
- U - Racial & Ethnic Harassment Policy
- V - Security of Information
- W - Policy on Sexual Harassment in the Campus Community
- X - Tuition Reduction & Educational Assistance Plan
- Y - Union Solicitation Guidelines
- Z - Policy on use of the Free Speech Area
- AA - Use of the WIU LAN Bulletin Board
- BB - Blood and Organ Donor Leave Policy