Administrative Services

FAQs for Conversion of Administrative Professionals to Civil Service

Updated: 2/5/2019

What is happening?

The State Universities Civil Service System (SUCSS) is provided authority through legislative Statute and is empowered through the University Civil Service Merit Board to develop, maintain, and administer a comprehensive and efficient program of human resource administration for the higher education community in Illinois.

Effective October 1, 2018, SUCSS published an Exemption Procedures Manual containing the guidelines and criteria to be used in properly validating and designating positions, and employees in those positions, as exempt from SUCSS coverage. The Exemption Procedures Manual can be viewed on the SUCSS website. This action requires that Western Illinois University begin reviewing Administrative Professional (AP) positions to determine if they are to be exempt from Civil Service (CS).

Who is determining whether a position is AP or CS?

Positions that have been traditionally classified as AP are being reviewed by a Position Review Committee comprised of the Director of Human Resources, Director of Academic Personnel, Director of Equal Opportunity and Access, Legal Counsel and the Supervisor of the Classification division.

What about current AP employees?

In January 2019, the Committee will begin to review the current job descriptions of positions identified as improperly exempted from CS. Employees in these positions that are determined to be CS will move from AP to CS effective, February 1, 2019.

Will salaries be negatively affected?

No. If your position transitions to CS, you will maintain your current pay unless the classification that you are transitioning to has a higher starting salary. In that instance, your pay will increase to the base salary of the new CS classification.

Will your pay schedule change?

Yes. CS employees in classifications exempted from overtime benefits are paid on a semi-monthly basis on approximately the 1st and 16th of the month (24 times a year) and are required to complete a time card twice a month.

Employees eligible for overtime are paid on a bi-weekly basis (26 times a year) and are required to complete a time card every two weeks.

How will I be paid after February 1?

For monthly paid employees moved to semi-monthly there will be no delay:

2/1 – full month of pay for January
2/15 – half month of pay for 2/1-2/15
3/1 – half month of pay for 2/16-2/28

Monthly paid employees moved to bi-weekly will have a maximum delay of 3 weeks and paid as follows:

2/1 – full month of pay for January
2/22 – partial check for 2/1 to 2/10 (6 days of the new normal bi-weekly pay paid a week before the old payday)
3/8 – first full bi-weekly check for pay period 2/11-2/24 (paid about a week later than the old payday; this is a 7 day delay on 2 weeks of wages)
3/22 – full bi-weekly check (this check will include payment for the last 4 days of February, which would have been received on 3/1 when paid monthly, resulting in a 3 week delay on 4 days of wages)

What is the difference between a bi-weekly employee and a semi-monthly employee?

Bi-weekly employees are not exempt from overtime requirements under the Fair Labor Standards Act and are eligible for either overtime or "compensatory time" off at time-and-a-half for any hours worked over 7.5 hours in a workday or 37.5 hours in a work week.

Semi-monthly employees are exempt from overtime requirements under the Fair Labor Standards Act and are paid a consistent salary. Semi-monthly employees accrue "approved time" for any hours worked over 37.5 hours per week, up to a maximum of 37.5 hours (straight time).

Does this make me a part of a union and/or UPI?

Some classifications are covered under collective bargaining agreements. If an employee is moved to a classification in a collective bargaining agreement, they will be notified.

Do my years of service carry over from my AP position? How does that factor into my seniority for the new CS classification?

Seniority is accrued from the date that it can reasonably be determined that the position description met the criteria (duties/responsibilities) of a civil service classification. This date can be determined based upon a historical evaluation of the job description for the position. In cases where there has been no significant change in the job description, seniority is accrued from the date of employment into the exempt position.

Do I need to make any deduction changes with payroll?

Most deductions, such as insurance and memberships, will have their amounts adjusted and will switch to a 24 deduction per year schedule.

If you have elected additional flat tax or if you use a second bank account to deposit your pay, those amounts will continue to be taken each time you are paid. Therefore, if you are moving from a monthly payroll to a more frequent payroll, you may want to make changes so your deductions are correct. Any deduction amounts taken out of your paycheck will change with your pay schedule (i.e. a deduction that was taken out once per month will now be taken out bi-weekly or semi-monthly), whereas any deposit amount will automatically adjust with the payroll frequency.

Will my Vacation/Sick leave change?

Yes. Vacation benefits accrue according to the following schedule:

CS Semi-Monthly Employees
Years of Service # of Days Earned per Year
1-3 25
4-6 26
7-9 27
10-14 28
CS Bi-Weekly Employees
Years of Service # of Days Earned per Year
1-3 12
4-6 15
7-9 18
10-14 21
15 25

Sick leave hours are accrued for status appointments of 50 percent or more on a pro rata basis of one working day for each month of full-time service and are cumulative, with no limit. Current sick and vacation balances will still be available to the employee but will take one full pay period to transfer to their viewable account.

If I have already accrued the maximum amount of vacation days as an AP employee and move to CS where the maximum is lower, will I lose my vacation days over the new maximum?

No. If you were an AP employee and had a balance at the maximum 48 days and moved to a CS position with a maximum accrual of 30 days, you would maintain two separate vacation records and would not lose any days. 30 vacation days would be transferred from your AP record onto your CS record, and the remaining 18 days would remain on your old AP record. Once the vacation is exhausted on your new CS record, the days left over from your AP record would then be transferred. If you were to leave the position prior to using all of your vacation days, all days would be paid out, regardless of if they were AP or CS.

How will my credentials be evaluated for the new CS position I am being transferred to?

Academic Personnel will provide the Human Resources Office the most recent resume and transcripts in your personnel file. If you would like to submit updated documentation, or complete a civil service application for future promotional opportunities, please visit the CS Employment section of the HR website to complete an application or email your documents to

Am I eligible for an Interinstitutional Tuition Waiver as a civil service employee?

Yes. Active CS employees can receive a tuition waiver at other SUCSS covered institutions. The credit hour maxima and fees to be waived will be determined by the institution at which the employee enrolls. Contact the Benefits Office for a list of institutions the tuition waiver is available at and to obtain a copy of the waiver request form.

If my position was converted to civil service and I am not an Illinois resident, do I have to move to Illinois?

No. There is no rule that requires that you reside in Illinois due to your position being reclassified as civil service.

Does an employee have to serve the probationary period for the new civil service classification?

Civil service classifications have a 6-month or 12-month probationary period. Time served in the previous exempt position will count towards the completion of the probationary period. Some specific examples follow:

Example 1: An employee was hired in an exempt position and has served 4 months in the position. It is determined that the position should be a civil service classification with a 12-month probationary period. Upon changing the position from exempt status to civil service, the employee would be required to complete the "remaining" 8 months of the 12-month probationary period.

Example 2: An employee was hired in an exempt position and has served 14 months in the position. It is determined that the position should be a civil service classification with a 12-month probationary period. Upon converting the position from exempt status to civil service, the employee would not be required to complete any additional probationary period.

What is the layoff notice period for civil service employees?

Civil service employees receive a written notice, at least 30 calendar days in advance of the effective date of layoff.

Is there a change in my duties and/or title?

If an employee received notification that his/her position was determined to be CS, there is no change in duties or the employee's "working" title. For example, an associate director reclassified to the CS classification of program coordinator will continue to be responsible for his/her current duties. While the CS title per the state system is program coordinator, the employee's working title can remain associate director of Department.

If I received notification that my position is now classified as civil service, has my salary been reduced?

An employee's salary will remain the same, unless the starting salary for the CS classification is greater than the current AP salary. This recent review and subsequent reclassifications are not cost-saving measures. The review process and any subsequent reclassifications are required by SUCSS statute.

Do my years of service count toward seniority? Will my sick or vacation time change?

If your duties and responsibilities from the administrative position remain the same, the years holding those responsibilities will count toward seniority in the new CS classification. For example, if an employee has served as director for 20 years, the years of director-related duties and responsibilities carry over to the CS classification. All accrued time (sick, vacation and approved hours) will transfer; however, non-cumulative sick days do not transfer and are no longer accrued. The maximum number of vacation days may change based on the CS classification. The accrued time question is answered in greater detail on the FAQ site.

What if I've been reclassified to a CS classification where others are currently holding the same classification? Can I be bumped?

This is dependent on the years of service in the AP position, and/or if the CS position is considered a custom class. For example, an employee who served as an associate director for 10 years and is now classified as a program coordinator, his/her duties in the former AP transfer to the CS classification. Therefore, the employee would have 10 years in the program coordinator classification. In addition, the program coordinator classification is considered a custom class. Therefore, the employee's position is specific to the education and experience required for the particular position. For example, another maintenance technician cannot bump a maintenance technician who has responsibilities for maintaining the University’s sprinkler systems due to the specific credentials required.

What are the eleven classifications considered "custom classifications"?

  • Accounting Associate
  • Business/Administrative Associate
  • Grants and Contracts Associate
  • Human Resource Associate
  • IT Support Associate
  • IT Technical Associate
  • IT Manager/Administrative Coordinator
  • Program Assistant
  • Program Coordinator
  • Program Director
  • Program/Student Advisor

What offices can I contact for more information?

Human Resources
(309) 298-1971 ext. 6

Academic Personnel
(309) 298-2216

Payroll Office
(309) 298-1867

Benefits Office
(309) 298-1971 ext. 3