Office of Public Safety
"Treat people how you want to be treated."
Jerry Allen serves as a Police Officer in the Office of Public Safety. Jerry began his career at WIU in March 1998. His primary role is the public's safety above all else. In addition to helping ensure everyone's safety, Jerry also provides educational programs for student organizations and residence halls. He also helps teach the R.A.D. (Rape Aggression Defense) classes. R.A.D. Instructors provide educational opportunities for women, children, men, and seniors to create a safer future for themselves. Jerry is also involved with traffic patrol as well as special details such as athletic games and campus events. The part of his job that he enjoys most is the interaction with the students. "I like to work with students in the residence halls and encourage them to make positive choices." When asked what suggestions he would have for prospective employees, Jerry shared that for positions in Public Safety, you have to be prepared to change "hats" quickly at times. "Our focus can change depending on the time of day, or the time of year, even the weather can determine how we respond to a situation. We have been very fortunate that training of our officers is a high priority. Training is so important for us." Jerry shared one of his most memorable experiences when, during a football game, a gentleman had a full cardiac arrest in the bleachers. Jerry assisted the emergency technicians who were already working on the man. The man was saved by the quick action of the emergency crew and the ability Jerry had to instinctively assess the scene and provide a valuable observation. Jerry has a heart for serving people…he has a good rapport with the students, and communicates well with everyone. He attributes this ability to working with the public and learning customer service skills at a young age. When Jerry is not working to keep us safe, he enjoys being involved in his church and serves as a Trustee, coaching girls' softball, and riding his motorcycle. He loves spending time with his family!
It's important to note that seldom do our Public Safety Officers have the opportunity to enjoy athletic competitions or campus events due to the fact they are typically working these events/games. Thank you all, for your dedication to your job, and to our safety!
HR salutes Jerry Allen as one of our many committed Civil Service employees at WIU!
- SURS Employee Forum Presentation (PDF)
- Civil Service Handbook
- Civil Service Forms
- Microsoft Office Training
- Civil Service Employees Council News and Information
- Office of Equal Opportunity and Access
- Provost's Office
- Diversity Programs at Western
- Western Illinois University Board of Trustees
- Western Illinois University Chapter - State Universities Annuitants Association
- State Universities Civil Service System - (includes information about Statutes & Rules, Class Specifications, Employee Data, Procedures Manuals, and more)
- SURS - State Universities Retirement System of Illinois
- McDonough County Senior Services Directory
- CMS Deferred Compensation Plan - supplemental retirement plan open to all full-time state employees