Advising & Academic Services Center
"Choose a job you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life." - Confucius
Cheryl works as a Staff Clerk in the Advising and Academic Services Center in Memorial Hall. She started her career at WIU in August 2000 as a Secretary II. She was promoted into her current position in February 2007. Cheryl's responsibilities include: processing all freshman applications that come through the Academic Services Program. She enters the data coding for those applications. Cheryl provides data support to the department as well. When asked what she likes most about her job, Cheryl responds, "I enjoy communicating with students and parents and the high schools during the Admissions process. I especially enjoy helping our students pursue a new chapter in their lives. I also truly enjoy working with a diverse group of individuals with one goal in mind…the success of our students."
Sharing her most memorable experience while at WIU, Cheryl responds, "When I worked in Distance Learning, I helped students with the exam process. We had a student in the military stationed in Iraq at the time. I helped work with his sergeant to proctor the student's exams. When the student returned from the military, he brought back a medal and gave it to me for helping him. This was highly unexpected! The medal was inscribed, 'For Outstanding Service during Operation Iraqi Freedom III.' I was so honored! He was in Bravo Battery 2/123 Field Artillery. I still have it on my desk to this day!"
Cheryl appreciates the history and knowledge that other employees have and their willingness to share it. Her favorite thing to do at WIU is to take classes geared toward health and fitness. When she is not working, you will find Cheryl spending time with family—especially her 1½ year old grandson, Carter. She enjoys travelling with her husband, running for fun and fitness, scuba diving, and hiking trails.
HR salutes Cheryl Rossio as one of our many committed Civil Service employees at WIU!
- SURS Employee Forum Presentation (PDF)
- Civil Service Handbook
- Civil Service Forms
- Microsoft Office Training
- Civil Service Employees Council News and Information
- Office of Equal Opportunity and Access
- Provost's Office
- Diversity Programs at Western
- Western Illinois University Board of Trustees
- Western Illinois University Chapter - State Universities Annuitants Association
- State Universities Civil Service System - (includes information about Statutes & Rules, Class Specifications, Employee Data, Procedures Manuals, and more)
- SURS - State Universities Retirement System of Illinois
- McDonough County Senior Services Directory
- CMS Deferred Compensation Plan - supplemental retirement plan open to all full-time state employees