Building Service Worker
"Every day is a new day. Do your best to make it the best day you've ever had."
Gary works as a Building Service Worker in the Building Services Department of Facilities Management. He began his career at WIU in August 2011 as a Building Service Worker Intern, and has progressively advanced to his current position. Gary's responsibilities are to clean the buildings and keep them looking nice for our students. "I clean up messes, ensure trash is taken out timely, and keep the bathrooms looking good." Gary enjoys meeting new people and working with his co-workers. He shared, "I also enjoy helping our students. I try to help whenever I can. I'm where they are and visible, so they know they can ask me for assistance and I help direct them to where they need to be." When asked what his thoughts would be to potential employees about working at WIU, Gary responded, "WIU is a comfortable place to work, everyone gets along well. If you have a positive outlook, and you're willing to work, it's a great place to work…very rewarding. It's all how you approach it! I feel like I'm a part of something, working on a team for the betterment of the university." One of Gary's most memorable experiences was when a group of students praised him for the good job he had done in their hall. "They told me I did a good job and they noticed the work I had done. That meant a lot! I appreciate receiving positive comments from my supervisors also. It makes me feel like I'm doing a good job." Gary credits the power of a positive attitude for being key to helping with all aspects of his job! Gary and his family enjoy attending the basketball and football games at WIU, and when the weather permits, you will also find Gary on a golf course! He enjoys spending time with his wife and two sons, and helps coach youth sports in his community of Monmouth!
HR salutes Gary Sells as one of our many committed Civil Service employees at WIU!
- SURS Employee Forum Presentation (PDF)
- Civil Service Handbook
- Civil Service Forms
- Microsoft Office Training
- Civil Service Employees Council News and Information
- Office of Equal Opportunity and Access
- Provost's Office
- Diversity Programs at Western
- Western Illinois University Board of Trustees
- Western Illinois University Chapter - State Universities Annuitants Association
- State Universities Civil Service System - (includes information about Statutes & Rules, Class Specifications, Employee Data, Procedures Manuals, and more)
- SURS - State Universities Retirement System of Illinois
- McDonough County Senior Services Directory
- CMS Deferred Compensation Plan - supplemental retirement plan open to all full-time state employees