Centennial Honors College
"Success is attainable regardless of where you're at!"
Janell works as a Program Assistant in the Centennial Honors College, located in the Malpass Library. Janells' career at WIU began in October 2006 with the Intern Program. Janell currently focuses most of her time recruiting honor students for the Honors College, which involves some traveling. She also establishes programs that are beneficial to WIU's Honors Students. One such program is the Honors Rewards Program which involves local businesses providing discounts to honors students…this program helps encourage students to continue to achieve high academic standings. When asked what she likes best about her job, Janell responds, "I like to let students know that the Honors College is an option for everyone, if they work hard, anyone can achieve this success. I also have a great set of colleagues to work with which makes for a very pleasant environment in which to work." Janell also shared that working at WIU has allowed her to achieve her goals of earning her Bachelor's Degree, and currently working toward her Master's Degree. Her most memorable experience was the day of her graduation, when she walked across the stage and received hugs and handshakes from the stage party. She said, "I felt that they were more proud of me, than even I was!" One of Janell's favorite things to do at WIU is to attend the Leathernecks basketball games. "I love to take my kids to the games, and show my purple pride!" When she is not out recruiting for WIU, Janell likes to travel and watch scary movies!
HR salutes Janell McGruder as one of our many committed Civil Service employees at WIU!
- SURS Employee Forum Presentation (PDF)
- Civil Service Handbook
- Civil Service Forms
- Microsoft Office Training
- Civil Service Employees Council News and Information
- Office of Equal Opportunity and Access
- Provost's Office
- Diversity Programs at Western
- Western Illinois University Board of Trustees
- Western Illinois University Chapter - State Universities Annuitants Association
- State Universities Civil Service System - (includes information about Statutes & Rules, Class Specifications, Employee Data, Procedures Manuals, and more)
- SURS - State Universities Retirement System of Illinois
- McDonough County Senior Services Directory
- CMS Deferred Compensation Plan - supplemental retirement plan open to all full-time state employees