File Code: ADM. DOMPARTNER.POL
Approval Date: 3/17/03
Approved By: President
Domestic Partner Benefit Program Policy
Western Illinois University extends recognition of any domestic partnership meeting the eligibility criteria, and offers certain benefits to domestic partners of Western Illinois University employees. The domestic partner may be of the same or of the opposite sex. Employees who wish to be considered for use of the Domestic Partner Benefit Program must complete the Statement of Domestic Partnership (PDF) and submit it to the Human Resources Office. The statement and the information obtained will be maintained in the employee's individual benefits file and will be kept confidential insofar as the law allows.
The benefits provided are those controlled solely by Western Illinois University. Benefits provided by the State of Illinois or any third party are not included in this program. The following is a list of benefits offered by Western Illinois University. Definitions have been amended to include domestic partners.
- Sick Leave: Employees may use up to twelve days of earned sick leave per calendar year for absences resulting from the illness or injury of a parent, spouse, domestic partner, or child. An employee may also use up to 20 days of earned sick leave per calendar year for parental leave upon the birth of a child of a spouse or domestic partner.
- Family Medical Leave Act Leave: FMLA leave may be taken to care for spouse, domestic partner, son, daughter, or parent of the employee, if they have a serious health condition.
- Bereavement Leave: Employees will be granted, upon request, leave of up to three scheduled work days to attend the funeral or memorial service and/or for travel and bereavement time, upon the death of a member of the employee's immediate family, household, in-laws, grandchildren, and/or grandparents; and up to one day to attend the funeral or memorial service of a relative other than the above who is not a member of the employee's household. Immediate family is defined as: domestic partner, father, mother, sister, brother, spouse, and children.
- Tuition Waiver for Children: Natural children, step-children, and adopted children of employees are eligible for a waiver of one-half of the tuition at Western Illinois University, subject to minimum qualifications specified in Illinois Statute. Children of a domestic partner who is not an employee at Western Illinois University will be considered as step-children of the employee for the purposes of this program. Waivers for children of domestic partners are only available when attending Western Illinois University.
- Wellness Program: Wellness-sponsored programs that are open to family members are open to domestic partners.
- Employee Assistance Program: Referral to the Employee Assistance Program is available for problems such as relationship discord, substance abuse, legal difficulties, financial programs, and emotional distress.
- Use of Malpass Library: University employees and their spouse or domestic partner may use this facility upon presentation of a valid employee or other identification card.
- Use of Recreation Services/Facilities: Family members, including domestic partners, of employees are eligible to participate in activities if they obtain a user pass.
It is the intent of this program that other benefits provided solely by the University to married partners be provided also to domestic partners. Questions related to other possible benefits should be directed to the Director of Human Resources.