Smoke-Free Campus Policy
File Code: ADM.SMOKEFREE.POL
Approval Date: 6/12/2015
Approved By: President
General Statement of Policy
Western Illinois University (University) endeavors to provide a safe and healthy environment to live, learn and work. In accordance with (110 ILCS 64/) the Smoke-Free Campus Act, as of July 1, 2015 smoking is prohibited on all Campus Property at the University, both indoors and outdoors, in university-owned vehicles and in privately-owned vehicles parked on Campus Property. Littering the remains of tobacco and smokeless tobacco products or any other related waste product on campus property is also prohibited.
The use of smokeless tobacco is also prohibited where student activities and/or learning takes place. This includes: classrooms, laboratories, libraries, and facilities where student conferences and meetings occur. Included are University vehicles when students are present. Smokeless tobacco is further prohibited inside all buildings/facilities, to include stadiums, gymnasiums, or other similar places where the general public may assemble.
This policy applies to any individual on campus property, including but not limited to students, faculty, staff, other employees such as temporary, lump sum, or seasonal employees, contractors, subcontractors, volunteers, guests and members of the public, and it is applicable twenty-four (24) hours a day, seven (7) days a week.
Any individual who does not comply with the Smoke-Free Campus Policy and state law is subject to possible fine, disciplinary action, or both. Citations may be issued under state law by the Office of Public Safety for individuals who do not comply with the policy.
"Smoke or Smoking" means:
- the carrying, smoking, burning, inhaling, or exhaling of any kind of lighted pipe, cigar, cigarillo, beedies, kreteks, water pipe, bong, cigarette, hookah, weed, herbs, or other lighted smoking device;
- lighting or burning of non-tobacco plants or marijuana and
- electronic cigarettes or vaporizers.
"Campus Property" means any property owned, leased, occupied, operated or otherwise controlled by the University, and as further set forth on the Smoke-Free Campus Map, which is available at www.wiu.edu/smokefree.
"Tobacco Products" means all forms of tobacco, including but not limited to cigarettes, cigars, cigarillos, pipes, beedies, kreteks, water pipes, bongs, and hookahs smoked products, pipes, electronic cigarettes, and any non-FDA approved nicotine delivery device or product.
"Smokeless Tobacco" consists of the use of snuff, oral and nasal tobacco, chewing tobacco, smokeless pouches, or other forms of loose leaf tobacco.
The University shall post "No Smoking" signs or the international "No Smoking" symbols clearly and conspicuously throughout the campus. This policy applies to all campus property whether or not such notices are posted. Areas that experience poor compliance with the policy may request supplemental signage from Facilities Management.
Guests at public events, such as conferences, meetings, public lectures, social events, cultural events, and sporting events, as well as non-university events held on campus property must abide by this policy. Organizers of public events are responsible for informing their attendees of this policy.
Individuals are encouraged to inform someone smoking on campus property of this policy and request that the smoker complies with the policy. Noncompliant individuals who are perceived as threatening or violent may be referred to the Office of Public Safety. Individuals are encouraged to report policy violations through the reporting procedures on the smoke-free campus website, available at www.wiu.edu/smokefree.
- Smoking is not prohibited when an individual is traveling through campus in a personally-owned vehicle.
- Individuals or groups interested in smoking as part of a ceremony in or on campus property must seek advance approval from the Vice President for Administrative Services by submitting a request for approval through the smoke-free campus website, available at www.wiu.edu/smokefree.
- Smoking may be allowed in an enclosed area on campus property for a medical, scientific, or research program, provided that smoking is an integral part of such program and the appropriate campus research oversight body has approved the inclusion of smoking in the program pursuant to the applicable procedures for such medical, scientific, or research program.
- Smoking as part of a campus production in or on campus property must seek advance approval from the Vice President for Administrative Services.
All available resources may be found by visiting the smoke-free campus web site at www.wiu.edu/smokefree.
|Position or Office||Responsibilities|
|University leaders, managers and supervisors||
|Academic Personnel and Human Resources||
|Division of Administrative Services||
|Division of Student Services||