Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
File code: TECH.WIRELESS.POL
Approval Date: 2/23/2009
Approved By: President
Wireless access points or devices with wireless capability are allowed in one of three fashions.
- Restricted non-secure wireless access to Internet (no university network access)
- Secure wireless access to the university network and the Internet
- A secure non SSID broadcasting wireless network will be supported for areas that take credit cards as payment and must have access to wireless.
The OPS isolated wireless LAN is a noted exemption to this policy.
Additional guidelines on wireless:
- Use the strongest supportable authentication available.
- Use the strongest supportable encryption available. WEP is not acceptable encryption.
- Must be installed, supported, and maintained by University Technology (uTech). Rogue Access Points (APs) and other wireless devices violate university policy.
- Maintain a hardware address (MAC address) that can be registered and tracked.
- Wireless clients that cannot support these security requirements will only be allowed limited access to the internet.
- Any area that takes credit cards as payment for products or services must ensure that wireless is not used within their area or must use a University Technology (uTech) supported secure wireless network that does not broadcast its SSID. Areas will be required to demonstrate a need for wireless networking.
- ResNet wireless will conform to university wireless options #1 and #2. Rogue Access Points (APs) are not allowed.