Guidelines: Utility Failure
- In the event an electrical failure occurs during regular working hours, notify the Physical Plant at 298-1834. After hours call 298-1949.
- If there is danger to the building occupants, call 911.
- Notify emergency personnel of persons with disabilities who are in the building.
- Do not use elevators in case of fire.
- Once outside, move to clear area at least 150 yards from the affected building. Keep streets and walkways clear for emergency vehicles and personnel. If requested, assist emergency personnel. Do not return to an evacuated building unless directed to do so by the Office of Public Safety.
Electrical/Light Failure: At present not all buildings are equipped with an emergency light system that will provide enough illumination in corridors and stairs for safe exiting. Departments should have flashlights available.
Elevator Failure: If you are trapped in an elevator, activate the elevator alarm and/or use the emergency telephone to notify the Office of Public Safety or call 911. Never attempt to exit an elevator stopped between floors.
Plumbing Failure/Flooding: Cease the use all electrical equipment. Notify the Physical Plant at 298-1834. If necessary, vacate the area. After hours call 298-1949.
Serious Gas Leak: Vacate the area. Do not switch on lights or any electrical equipment. Remember, electrical arcing can trigger an explosion! Notify the Office of Public Safety at 911. Do not smoke, light matches, or lighter.
Steam Line Failure: Notify the Physical Plant at 298-1834. After regular hours call 298-1949. If necessary, vacate the area.
Ventilation Problem: If odor comes from the ventilation or equipment, vacate the area. Notify the Physical Plant at 298-1834 or 298-1949 after hours.
Office of Public Safety
1 University Circle
Macomb, IL 61455
EMERGENCIES: Dial 911
Parking Services: 309/298-1921
Access Control: 309/298-1940