Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
Section 24: Communicable Disease and Exposure/Injury Care
- A new set of disposable gloves will be worn before every new patient contact.
- Contaminated clothing, bedding, needles, or any other item are to be handled with extreme care and should be placed in isolation bags and properly marked for cleaning or disposal.
- A mechanical device such as a pocket mask or manual resuscitator shall be utilized when respiratory assistance is necessary. Protective eyewear, masks, and gowns are to be utilized if there is the possibility of splash form bodily fluids.
- Hand washing with soap and water is to be accomplished after each patient contact.
- Medical equipment is to be properly sterilized or decontaminated after contact with patient’s bodily fluids. The equipment can’t be put in service until it is decontaminated.
- Large equipment should be washed with disinfectant solution approved for hazardous agents and allowed to air-dry.
- Delicate equipment will be wiped down and air-dried.
- Resuscitation equipment should be washed in a disinfectant solution and air-dried. Disposable equipment will be discarded if any possibility exists that it was exposed.
- As mentioned earlier in this manual, all clothing should be removed as quickly as possible.
Levels of Exposure:
- Level I
- Contact limited to merely being in the presences of a person suspected of having a communicable disease.
- No special action required
- Level II
- Contamination of clothing or equipment by victim’s blood or fluids.
- Level III
- Exposure to non-intact skin or mucous membrane with blood or bodily fluids.
- Complete Exposure Report, Contact Duty Lieutenant, Captain, Western EMS Advisor, and SDO immediately decontaminate, and seek medical care as needed.
- Section 1: Introduction
- Section 2: Conduct code, Rights and Responsibilities
- Section 3: Application Process
- Section 4: Training Sessions
- Section 5: Administrative Positions Hiring Procedure
- Section 6: Mid-Semester Reviews
- Section 7: Ranks and Positions
- Section 8: Talent Grants
- Section 9: Dress Code
- Section 10: Scheduling and Attendance
- Section 11: Cell Phone Use
- Section 12: Call Response
- Section 12.1: Crew Staffing
- Section 13: Off Campus
- Section 14: Equipment Purchasing
- Section 15: Use of Equipment
- Section 16: Liability Coverage
- Section 17: Alcohol, Substance Abuse and Smoking
- Section 18: Confidentiality
- Section 19: Complaints and Internal Conflicts
- Section 20: Service Recognition
- Section 21: Discipline and Conduct Code
- Section 22: On Call Rooms
- Section 23: Radio Communications
- Section 23.1: Approved 10-Codes
- Section 23.2: Approved Phonetic Alphabet
- Section 24: Communicable Disease and Exposure/Injury Care
- Section 25: Implementation of Policies and Procedures
- Section 26: Changes to the Policy and Procedure Manual
- Section 27: Meeting Attendance
- Section 28: Death of a Patient
- Section 29: Emergency Leave of Crew
- Section 30: Mass Casualty Incident or Multiple Victim Response