- If indoors, go to the lowest level of the building. Interior hallways or rooms are preferable, away from glass windows.
- If outdoors, go to the nearest ditch or depression, away from power lines, building, and trees.
DO NOT STAY IN A CAR AND/OR ATTEMPT TO OUTRUN THE TORNADO.
- After the tornado has passed, evaluate the situation and if emergency help is needed, contact OPS at (309) 298-1949.
- Be aware of dangerous structural conditions and evacuate the building if necessary once the storm has passed. Report damaged facilities to OPS.
NOTE: Gas leaks and power failures create special hazards. Please refer to the "Utility Failure" section.
- If individuals cannot exit the building using the stairs, they should proceed to an Area of Safe Refuge to await further assistance.
- If fire breaks out, do not use the elevators.
- Once outside, move to a clear area away from the affected building. Keep streets and walkways clear for emergency vehicles and personnel.
- Do NOT return to an evacuated building unless instructed to do so by OPS.