The University Logos
The logos (signatures) exist as the keystones of Western Illinois University's visual identity. The logos consist of both a representation of the Sherman bell tower or the Quad Cities Riverfront building and "Western Illinois University." Users of the logos must follow all color, typography, and reproduction specifications.
Additionally, University constituents may use the Western Illinois Rocky head sweep logo.
University Logos and Their Usage
The University's official name is "Western Illinois University" as illustrated on the bell tower and Quad Cities Riverfront logos.
While the University is always referred to as "Western Illinois" to ensure that the University is clearly identified in any logo that is used for international, national, or regional purposes (see samples below), University Marketing understands that locally the University is referred to as "WIU."
The Rocky head may be used alone if "Western Illinois" appears elsewhere in a piece in a prominent location.
The use of the block "W" to represent Western Illinois University may be allowed on certain products/items. Designs featuring the block "W" must receive approval from University Marketing before the item is printed/produced.
The block "W" does not replace or substitute for use of either the Sherman bell tower logo, Quad Cities Riverfront building logo, or Western Illinois Rocky head sweep logo in print or on the Web. All publications/documents should include either the Sherman bell tower logo, Quad Cities Riverfront building logo, or Western Illinois Rocky head sweep logo.
The following guidelines for use of the block "W" must be followed:
- The block "W" may be WIU purple (Pantone 2607), WIU purple (Pantone 2607) and outlined in WIU gold (PMS 116), WIU gold (PMS 116), or black. No other colors may be used.
- The block "W" may stand alone in some instances, but the preference is to include Western Illinois University or Western Illinois in conjunction with the use of the block "W."
- The block "W" cannot be used as the "W" when spelling out Western Illinois University or WIU.
- Additional text or design elements should be no closer than 1/3 of the width of the "W" logo.
- The use of the block "W" in University facilities must be approved by Facilities Management and University Marketing.
Department & Organization Logos
Schools, colleges, departments, offices, centers, institutes, programs, and other units of the University should use only unaltered versions of the Western Illinois University bell tower logo, WIU-QC Riverfront logo, or Western Illinois Rocky head sweep logo, combined with their official unit names, for unit logos.
Display the name of the school, college, department, office, center, institute, program, or other unit of the University to the right of the bell tower and Riverfront logo or below the Western Illinois Rocky head sweep logo. Use only the fonts Perpetua, Garamond, or Arial. Observe the spacing, sizing, and other guidelines indicated in the "Spacing and Sizing" and other sections of the Visual Identity Guidelines.