Fallen Soldiers 5K Run/Walk
October 22nd, 2016
In October 2015, more than 590 runners and walkers joined forces to raise over $18,000 by participating in Western Illinois University's 4th Annual Fallen Soldiers 5k Run/Walk, and event organizers hope to see over 600 in this year's event.
The event is designed as a fundraiser for the Fallen Soldier's Scholarship Fund in honor of two WIU alumni who were killed in the line of duty, Capt. Derek Dobogai and Lt. Col. Robert Baldwin. Dobogai, who graduated from Western in 2003 with a bachelor's degree in law enforcement and justice administration, was among the 14 U.S. soldiers aboard a Black Hawk helicopter that crashed Aug. 22, 2007 in northern Iraq. Baldwin, who earned a bachelor's degree in industrial technology from WIU in 1993, was killed Sept. 21, 2010 when his Blackhawk UH-60 helicopter carrying Navy SEALs crashed during combat operations in the Zabul province of Afghanistan.
Money raised from the 5k Run/Walk is directed toward the WIU Fallen Soldiers Scholarship Fund, which supports veterans and service members currently enrolled at Western. Additional donations are welcome. The entry fee is $25 per person, and pre-registration is due by Oct. 3rd ($35 registration after 10/3). Virtual race participation is available at an additional cost of $5.95 for shipping.
While the scholarship and program will continue to honor the men for whom the scholarship was established, each year the event will also recognize the recipients of scholarships that are awarded in the preceding year.
For registration information, contact Holly Fecht at (309) 298-1861, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Online Registration Form
- Registration Form (to be printed and sent in)
- Facebook Event Page
- Race Route Map and Elevation Profile
- Sponsorship Information
Mile Marker Sponsor
- Dave & Jackie Thompson
- WIU Foundation
Race Route Sponsors
- Pepsi of Macomb
- Hy-Vee of Macomb
Other Race Sponsors
Blood Pressure Screenings - Nov. 1-11
- Tuesday, November 1 - Malpass Library Garden Lounge, 2nd Floor
- Tuesday, November 1 - Horrabin Hall Room 1
- Wednesday, November 2 - Sherman Auditorium, 3rd Floor
- Wednesday, November 2 - Stipes Hall, Room 501
- Thursday, November 3 - Facilities Management Large Training Room
- Friday, November 4 - Memorial Hall Lobby
- Tuesday, November 8 - Knoblauch Hall, Room 239
- Tuesday, November 8 - Morgan Hall, Room 453
- Wednesday, November 9 - University Union, Lincoln Room
- Wednesday, November 9 - Tillman Hall, Room 301 F
- Thursday, November 10 - Garwood Hall, Room 10
- Friday, November 11 - Waggoner Hall, Room 170