October 22, 2021
- CHOIRS FALL CONCERT "Together Again" - Dr. Brian Winnie & Dr. Jason Hawkins, conductors
- Time: 7:30 PM
- Location: COFAC Recital Hall
- Description: *This performance has reached capacity for in-person attendance - please watch the live-stream on the School of Music's YouTube channel and Facebook page.
“This is the sound of all of us singing with love and the will to trust.”
The Wailin’ Jennys
Choir is typically synonymous with community – a place where individuals from different backgrounds work toward common goals. It’s also an outlet for personal expression and healing and a safe space to learn and grow our common musical expression. The pandemic threatened these ideals, and we realized how much we had taken for granted for so long. Individuals became isolated, and choirs had to reimagine how to achieve these goals of community and learning. We were thrust into small ensemble singing, outdoor spaces, and online “Brady Bunch” squares. Although we pivoted well and learned a great deal from these experiences, something was not the same. This semester, we are thrilled to be Together Again.
History has shown that choral singing remains an integral part of society and will continue long after difficult times like these. For that, we are grateful. We wanted to choose repertoire that focused on not only being back together as full ensembles but the journey toward this goal. Concert Choir’s set will focus on the power of community. The inaugural performance of the new Chamber Singers will celebrate life. Finally, the University Singers will describe captured moments during the pandemic with stories of undying love in the face of adversity, loss, hope for a better tomorrow, the healing hands of others, and thankfulness for today.
We are so grateful to have you here with us. Thank you for remaining part of our community.
Dr. Brian J. Winnie, Director of Choral Activities
Performances in the COFAC Recital Hall are now open for limited general audience seating, with the following guidelines:
· Audience members and participants are encouraged to be vaccinated
· Off-campus visitors are encouraged to complete the WIU self-check before arriving to campus at www.wiu.edu/selfcheck
· Face coverings must be worn by all audience members, at all times
· Ushers will collect information from attendees (name, phone and email) to assist with contact tracing, if necessary
· Audience members will be expected to maintain proper social distancing from others not in his/her group
- Related Web Site: COFAC Recital Hall
- Contact Information:
- Source: School of Music