Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
Spring 2014 Career Development Center (CDC) Workshop Series:
All workshops will be hosted in Memorial Hall 124 (unless noted elsewhere)
- Wednesday, 22nd. - 12:00-1:00 - Resumes 101: No resume, No Problem! - Participants will gain valuable insight on the purpose of the resume and learn how to "build" this important document. Students will also have the opportunity to start creating this document in the computer lab. (workshop in 3rd Floor Library Computer Lab)
- Thursday, 30th. - 12:00-1:00 - "Like A Boss" - What it means to be a Professional - What's accepted as "professionalism" varies from field to field. This workshop will consist of a panel of professionals from various career paths. Participants will have a chance to ask questions and learn what it means to be a professional, yet stay true to yourself and your personality.
- Monday, 3rd. - 6pm - Train for the Games: Career Fair Preparation - Going to the Spring Career & Internship Fair? Come to this informative workshop to learn how to navigate the fair and make a positive impression on employers. Enterprise Recruiter, Mr Bob Berdelle will be presenting. (workshop in the Sandburg Lounge)
- Thursday, 6th. - 12:00-1:00 - Passing the Test: Utilizing Career Assessment Tools. - Unsure of your career interests or abilities? The University Counseling Center offers assessments to assist you with identifying potential career paths that suit you skills, interests, and abilities. Ms. Ada Macias, UCC Counselor, will facilitate.
- Thursday, 13th. - 12:00-1:00 - Interviewing Preparation: What to do BEFORE the Interview! - You've been invited for an interview, so what should you do?!? Participants will learn about conducting company research, dressing professionally, and how to prepare yourself for your BIG day!
- Wednesday, 19th. - 12:00-1:00 - Skype & Telephone Interviewing - More and more companies are using telephone and Skype interviews as part of the interview process. This workshop will teach students how to present themselves professionally through electronic interviews.
- Thursday, 27th. - 12:00-1:00 - Get LINKED: Using Linkedin for Your Job Search - Linkedin has more than 175 million members in over 200 countries (according to http://www.linkedin.com) Participants will learn how to maximize their Linkedin connections for networking, informational interviews, job postings, and job interview purposes. Please be prepared to create your own Linkedin account at this workshop. (workshop in 3rd Floor Library Computer Lab)
- Wednesday, 19th. - 1:30-4:30 - Dressing on a Budget - No matter your financial situation, most employers want you to dress professionally. Students will learn how to dress "on a budget" and will get assistance picking out professional outfits at the Macomb Goodwill Store. Be prepared to ride on the Go West transit and wear weather appropriate clothing. (Go West: Rt 16 :15, :45 at city center / Rt 15 :00, :30 at city center / Rt 17 :15, :45 at city center)
- Thursday, 27th. - 12:00-1:00 - Show Me The Money! Managing Your Personal Finances - Not sure what to do with your first paycheck? Are you a saver or a spender? This workshop will focus on basic budgeting and finance skills for lifelong financial happiness.
- Wednesday, 2nd. - 12:00-1:00 - eCareer: Using Online Resources - In today's society, technology is key. This workshop will teach you strategies to use technology and online resources for career planning and exploration. (workshop in 3rd Floor Library Computer Lab)
- Thursday, 10th. - 12:00-1:00 - Resumes 201: Perfecting Your Document (must have participated in Resume 101 workshop) - This workshop is designed for students who already have created a resume. Learn how to refine your resume to get an interview and how to create "eye-catching" content. Students will have the opportunity to make updates to their existing resume in the computer lab. (workshop in 3rd Floor Library Computer Lab)
- Wednesday, 16th. - 12:00-1:00 - Interviewing Techniques: Be a STAR - Do you consider yourself a "good" interviewer? Why not strive to be a STAR! Learn how to interview effectively using the STAR method to answer questions. This interactive workshop will include activities to practice your interviewing skills.
- Thursday, 24th. - 12:00-1:00 - Get LINKED: Using Linkedin for Your Job Search - Linkedin has more than 175 million members in over 200 countries (according to http://www.linkedin.com) Participants will learn how to maximize their Linkedin connections for networking, informational interview, job postings, and job interview purposes. Please be prepared to create your own Linkedin account at this work shop. (workshop in 3rd Floor Library Computer Lab)