Furniture & Floor Types
Standard Room Furnishings
Each Residence Hall room has the following furnishings. Most rooms (double or single) come with two sets of furniture:
- Desk Chair
- Bed Frame
- Mattress (36" x 80") - Requires XL Twin Sheets
All rooms, except for in Corbin and Olson, are carpeted.
Specific Room Furnishings
Bayliss, Henninger, Grote & Westbrook House
Rooms are furnished with stackable, modular furniture that can be set up in different arrangements. Check it out!
Thompson, Lincoln and Washington Halls
Rooms are furnished with loftable furniture.
Room is furnished with built-in desks and dressers with the option of renting a bed loft through bedloft.com or bringing one to campus.
- Bed Loft Rental
- Western Illinois partners with Bedloft.com to offer students a number of convenient, affordable products and services to create more space in their residence hall room. Many WIU students take advantage of the Bedloft.com program each year and find it to be very beneficial to their living experience. Proceeds from the program support WIU and help fund programs for students throughout the year. Bed lofts are an easy, affordable way to create additional living area in the room. Students who pre-order by AUGUST 7 will have their bed loft delivered directly to their room before move-in day for free! This will help make the move-in experience much smoother and give students many more options for setting up their room in a comfortable configuration. Order now at bedloft.com
- Loft Bed TV Hanger Purchase
- This one-of-a-kind TV hanger allows you to hang up to a 42” flat screen television directly from your bed loft! It safely secures your TV without leaving any marks or holes on the walls – essential for college living! Order now at bedloft.com
- Do-it-Yourself lofts
- Personal bunk beds or lofts are allowed in some of our halls. If you decide to construct your own loft, please keep in mind that lofts are required to be free standing and can not be attached to any furniture, wall or ceiling and must be fire resistant. Room dimensions listed on this site will help you construct the loft that will best suit you. Storage of bed frames is limited and on a first come, first served basis. We do not store mattresses.
- Loft Dismantling
- All lofts, rented or personal, must be taken down prior to finals week. This is to ensure a quiet, respectful academic environment in which students can prepare for their exams. Each hall will post guidelines related to bedframe retrieval.
**Bed loft rental, loft bed TV Hanger, and do-it-yourself lofts are an option for Tanner Hall residents only.
The futon can be used as a love seat, lounger or full-sized bed and is customized to fit under any lofted bed at WIU, making it available to students in all halls. It is a great way to have additional seating in your room for you and your friends! Students can bring their own futon or save the hassle of bringing to campus, by ordering online at bedloft.com by AUGUST 3 to guarantee FREE delivery to their room before move-in day!
For $130/year rent (will be auto split if two roommates order a MicroFridge), any residence hall student can have the convenience of a microwave/refrigerator combination unit in your room when you arrive to campus. If you are interested, you can add this option on STARS (after you receive your assignment) by visiting UHDS Housing Information Menu > Residence Hall Contract Changes.
If you bring your own microwave and refrigerator, make sure it follows the guidelines below:
- Microwave Guidelines:
- Microwaves must use 700 watts or less.
- Refrigerator Guidelines:
- Refrigerators can be no larger than 4.6 cubic feet and use no more than 2 amps when running.
- Other Appliances
- Appliances with exposed heating elements must have automatic shut-off or they are not allowed for safety purposes.
Customize your Space
Get creative with your space! We partner with Residence Hall Linens to provide affordable and stylish sheets, towels, pillows, and room decor. Proceeds from this program go to support our student governing group, Inter-Hall Council, and are used for programming the residence halls. Please visit ocm.com/wiu/linens for more information and ordering.
Painting, wallpaper, and drilling into the walls are not allowed, but get creative with removable hooks and sticky tack to hang your posters and photos.
Each residence hall floor has a small storage closet that can accommodate some boxes and luggage. It is locked and only the Resident Assistant has a key to the room. We do not store furniture for students. We will store bed frames on a first come, first served basis.