WIU Secure Wireless
To ensure your security, the Western Illinois University wireless network utilizes a secure authentication mechanism known as 802.1X. This security mechanism protects your user name, password and all transmitted data using network encryption. To utilize this secure network, your network connection requires specific settings.
How Do I Connect to Secure Wireless?
If you are seeing this message, you are not currently connected to the WIU wireless network. University Technology has provided a simple wizard that will configure your device for accessing the "WIU-SECURE" wireless network, but you must be in range of a WIU wireless signal for the configuration utility to work properly. Please connect your device to the "WIU-SETUP" wireless connection and refresh this website to obtain configuration instructions.
This wizard will configure the following computers/devices:
- Windows (XP, Vista, and 7)
- Mac OS X (10.4 or greater)
- iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad
Other Frequently Asked Questions
- Where is Secure Wireless Available?
- Secure wireless is available everywhere university wireless is available. View a complete list of the locations wireless access is available on campus (link will open in a new window).
- Why Should I Use Secure Wireless?
- Secure wireless will encrypt all data you transmit, meaning that your usernames, passwords and other sensitive data cannot be intercepted or viewed by others. On an unsecure wireless connection, you are susceptible to having your data, including usernames and passwords, viewed by others on the network. Unsecure wireless should only be used to browse the internet, never to log into any web sites or resources that require usernames or passwords or to submit sensitive information.
- Can I Continue to use Public (Unsecure) Wireless?
- Visitors can use the "WIU-GUEST" (unsecured) wireless network for quick access to publicly available areas - no logon is needed. If you choose to use WIU-GUEST to access the internet (including social networks), you are choosing an unsecure method of communication, which means your info - including passwords, login info, and even your private communications - can be intercepted. It is recommended that all WIU faculty, staff and students use "WIU-SECURE".
- Do I need to log in to use Secure Wireless?
- Yes, you will log in with your personal ECom username and password to connect to Secure Wireless.
- I Need Assistance Connecting; Who Do I Contact?
- In Macomb, please contact the uTech Support Center by calling (309) 298-2704 or e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org. In the Quad Cities, contact the QC Help Desk by calling (309) 762-3999, ext. 62294 or e-mailing email@example.com.