Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
What You Need to Know
- All professional services, regardless of dollar amount, require a contract. Contracts must be reduced to writing, approved and submitted prior to services beginning. Late contracts require that a justification for late submission be submitted to Purchasing .
- Any professional/artistic contract of $20,000 or more must be competitively bid or determined to be a sole source. A Justification for Sole Source form must be submitted to Purchasing.
- Competitively bid contracts are advertised on the Illinois Public Higher Education bulletin for 15 days.
- A standard Professional Services Contract Submittal form is to be submitted for contracts required to be bid.
- Contracts filed late require a signed affidavit and are submitted by the State Comptroller's Office to the State Auditor General to be included in the next University audit.
- For more on contracts, see the Administrative Procedures handbook.
Employee or Independent Contractor?
If a contractual relationship is determined to be an employee relationship, a lump sum payment form is processed through the Human Resources department and payment is made through the payroll process. The lump sum payment form should be submitted to Human Resources.
- Are not otherwise employed by the University
- Pursue outside work or provide a service to multiple customers/clients and advertise such services
- Take a "risk" for not completing the conditions of the contract
- Contract for a set price to provide an identifiable service which covers a specified time frame
- Have the flexibility to assign the service to other individuals
- Are not directed as to methods of accomplishment, time restraints (other than contract period), etc.
- Have a short-term relationship with the University
- Contract is to be all inclusive, the University does not reimburse for items such as lodging, travel and meals.