Graduate Studies

J-1 Visa Students

 Maintaining Your Status:

 You must:

  • Possess a valid passport at all times, unless exempt from passport requirements.
  • Possess a valid, unexpired DS-2019 at all times. This includes correct degree level, major, current funding, and personal data.
  • Complete a full course of study during normal enrollment periods (fall and spring semester).


  • You must enroll full time (12 credits per semester for undergraduates, 9 credits per semester for graduate students).
  • You cannot count any online courses toward your full time status.

Change of Address:

  • You must report any change of address within 10 days of the change. Please update this in STARS and the Immigration Specialist will update your SEVIS record.

Health Insurance:

  • You must have insurance coverage for the entire stay in the U.S.



  • Prior to traveling outside the U.S. make sure your DS-2019 has been endorsed for travel (on page 3) by the Immigration Specialist in the last 6 months.


  • You must apply for an extension of your program of study prior to the expiration date of the DS-2019. Requests for extension should be submitted 30 days prior to the expiration date.

Change of Academic Level:

  • You must obtain a new DS-2019 if you change your academic level (example: bachelor's to master's), major, or source of funding changes.


  • If you intend to transfer to another college/university, you must first notify the Immigration Specialist in advance of this transfer.

Withdrawal from the University:

  • If you need to withdraw from classes, or are asked to leave the university, you must report this to the Immigration Specialist. You will have 15 calendar days to leave the United States. If you do not report it, your J-1 status ends immediately.

Grace Period:

  • The normal grace period to remain in the U.S. following degree completion is 60 calendar days.