Graduate Studies

Employment for WIU International Students


While You Are a Student at WIU

On-Campus Employment


Undergraduate students

  • May work on campus as regular student workers.
  • International students are not eligible for off-campus employment or Federal Work Study (FWS). 

Graduate students

  • May apply and work as graduate assistants, research assistants, and teaching assistants. These jobs are usually within the department in which a student studies and provide tuition waivers (you are still reponsible for paying course fees, books, health insurance, etc.    Email your department directly to inquire about open positions.  The International Admissions Office does not make decisions regarding asisstantship positions; you must contact the departments directly.
  • View more information about graduate assistantships
  • May also work on-campus as student workers.
Off-Campus Employment
  • If a student is eligible and meets the criteria, they may be eligible to work off-campus with proper authorization.
  • Curricular Practical Training (CPT)  allows a student to gain practical experience while working off-campus in an internsthip/job that is related to their degree.
  • Pre-Completion OPT  allows a student to work off-campus in a job that is related to their field.  However, this is not common as it affects Post-Completion OPT which is completed after graduation. 


Employment After Graduation