"I attended Western to become strong in the basics of biology." Katie Reiss
Options in Biology include:
...all leading to a Bachelor of Science degree.
Minors are offered in:
- Botany - download curriculum guide (pdf)
- Microbiology - download curriculum guide (pdf)
- Zoology - download curriculum guide (pdf)
Students intending to pursue medical careers or professional programs should choose the Bachelor of Science in Biology with a medical sciences option. The Medical Sciences option offers two possible minors in either;
- Chemistry (for students wishing to pursue a professional school, such as medical school, dental school, optometry school, and veterinarian programs) or in
- Psychology (for students wishing to pursue a physical and occupational therapy program)
Why Study Biology at WIU?
Few biology departments offer research and field experiences to undergraduates - a strength of our department is our commitment to undergraduate research .
An Established Commitment to a High-Quality Undergraduate Education
Our undergraduate major features:
- Courses taught by faculty members, not graduate students
- An active faculty advisor program and an active career advising/career development program
- A wide variety of courses providing a strong background in the natural and social sciences, humanities, and writing
- A curriculum which supports students pursuing their individual academic interests
- Libraries with Internet access to biology and research journals
- Easily accessible computer labs for student use
Research opportunities for undergraduates
- Faculty welcome students into their research groups as part-time workers, interns, and research assistants (Learn more at our Faculty page)
- Opportunities are available for undergraduates to pursue independent research projects
- Our diverse department offers many field and laboratory opportunities for students to pursue biology research.
An interdisciplinary Functional Morphology and Evolutionary Anatomy (FMEA) minor between the departments of Biological Sciences and Sociology/Anthropology is offered for students interested in a strong emphasis in animal and human anatomy.**
*The medical sciences option has a minimum standard GPA of 2.75 for enrollment in this option. Also, it is a requirement to minor in psychology or chemistry to prepare for the professional school of your choice.
Faculty diversity and experience
Most of our faculty members hold Ph.D. degrees and have active, productive research programs. Our faculty study a diverse spectrum of biological disciplines.